Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design Walls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-walls-t107057.html)

frarose 03-13-2011 05:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My hubby bought a 4 x 8 sheet of hardboard and we covered it with warm n natural batting and he screwed it to the wall behind the door in my sewing room. Works great. I need to clean the fabric threads off it though but here it is with 5 blocks on it. And then with one block on it.

JoanneS 03-13-2011 05:31 PM

I'm using fleece - with the nap up. I'm amazed at how well it grabs the cotton pieces. I think it's even better than cotton. I bought a lot on sale to use as backing for baby quilts, which is why I had it.

Lv2sew2011 03-13-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by jillaine
I've never used a design wall before, but am thinking I really should. (Evidence: I jump into piecing what I'm certain will be great combinations, sew them together, then... well, not so great...)

What do you use? I assume there are purchasable items made just for this purpose. I'm also seeking suggestions for do-it-yourself solutions.

I also need to figure out what wall I'll possibly use, but I realize you can't help me with that!

Thanks!

I'm going to make me one too!, I watch a youtube video and that lady made it look so easy to use...

I'm going to Lowes, and gonna get one of those insulation boards and put a sheet or something around it..

Nettie Phillips 03-13-2011 05:52 PM

I would say flannel would be good to use but like you I don't know
where I would put it. I don't have a blank wall and too much
furniture.

galvestonangel 03-13-2011 06:33 PM

I covered an etra large bulliten (sp) board with flannel. Stapled it on the back. Now I can use it with pins or not.

amyjo 03-13-2011 06:45 PM

I use a flannel backed tablecloth that comes in pkg for little or nothing. even can get end bolts at Joann's when on clearance. it works great to have hanging and just put you blocks on it and move them around till you like what you have. That is what I used when I made the Ben's Star quilt that is on my avatar. Wouldn't have been able to get it straight otherwise.

morforles 03-13-2011 06:52 PM

If you have room foam board is great! I bought 2 four by eight sheets and taped them together......like a hinge... and pinned flannel on. I will eventually make it 7'x7' because it really is too LARGE but you could make it any size you want. When you are not using it, fold the boards together and take them to the garage or where ever you want. The only reason I did this is because I didn't have a place to hang flannel and this board can be propped up anywhere.

patticriss 03-13-2011 06:59 PM

I have the same tablecloth....Ha hahahah

KathyKat 03-13-2011 07:23 PM

I just have a vinyl tablecloth pinned up with push tacks with the flannel side facing out. It works great!

Gabrielle's Mimi 03-13-2011 07:32 PM

I use an inexpensive flannel-backed tablecloth. I have a quilt hanger attached to my wall where I display various quilts throughout the year. I just take the quilt down, put up the tablecloth, flannel-side out, and arrange my blocks. This works really well because I can take the tablecloth down and roll it or fold it and take it to my machine or to a class.