Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design Walls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-walls-t21139.html)

Esqmommy 06-09-2009 09:17 PM

I have a class coming up and it was recommended to have a design wall - flannel or some fabric. I need it to be portable, and I'd like to be able to put it up in my house. I saw Clover puts out a portable that is around 35.00. But, why can't I use batting? It seems like similar make.

I also read some reviews about the portable design wall that is really hard to set up - it has poles and such to hold it up. I would really appreciate input from any of you who use a design wall and can't leave it up all the time.

Thanks!!

zyxquilts 06-09-2009 09:21 PM

A cheap, easy & portable design wall (only requiring some tape or tacks maybe) is a flannel backed plastic table cloth!

nena 06-10-2009 05:32 AM

Oh Sue, How smart are you? I never thought of that...perfect....I can"t wait to get home tonight and try it.

Rose Marie 06-10-2009 06:27 AM

That is what I use also. Make sure you buy a quality table cloth not one from the dollar store.
I pin mine to a curtain rod and hang it over nails on the wall.
Someday would like to make a nice one with car headliner. That is what Eleanor Burns made hers with.

kapatt 06-10-2009 06:34 AM

I also use the flannel back table cloth on my wall for a design wall. It works great.

BellaBoo 06-10-2009 07:39 AM

I use the smaller square tablecloth for classes, it's the perfect size. I use push pins to hang it, with permission of course. And Rose Marie is right do not use a cheap one. Go to a good dept store that sells kitchenware and get one that has real flannel on the back, not the spidery batting. One good portable wall is to buy the cardboard pattern lay out board. It folds up and very lightweight. I covered one with flannel and it works great to stand on it's on. At guild we use foam board presentation boards covered in flannel. They stand up on a table top. You can find these at Staples, Office Depo and some WalMarts.

MelissaK 06-10-2009 07:59 AM

I bought the design wall from either keepsake quilting or connecting thread (can't remember which one). It was such a rip off. It is basically a piece of batting. I was not very happy and I paid something like $30 for it. Thankfully, I didn't buy the very big one.

butterflywing 06-10-2009 12:29 PM

on the subject of design walls, i have a cork wall that i use with push pins. it works fine, but it's a pain in the whosey. which is better to cover it with: flannel or felt?

Lacelady 06-10-2009 03:16 PM

I have a large Block Butler, looks like batting, but is tacky on both sides. Stick it to a wall, and away you go. I have a quilting friend who has just bought the 1 yard square version, and she sticks it to her wardrobe door. It can be portable, because it is supplied with plastic covering on each side that can be replaced as and when. Also, when it loses its tackiness, the instructions say to wash it gently and the tackiness is restored, and it doesn't damage paintwork etc.

Esqmommy 06-13-2009 06:03 AM

Why thank you!! It's almost as addicting as the quilting... :lol: :-)