Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Designing quilting pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/designing-quilting-pattern-t53197.html)

aneternalpoet 07-06-2010 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope someone can help.. I was asked to create a wall hanging, using this photo, " Mario" that was a computer type character years ago. I was asked to make it poster size, but do not know what size to cut the squares ( or rectangles) to make it all fit the dimensions of a poster. Does anyone know how to do that, or have a quilt program that can determine sized blocks for such a project? I have added the photo , so hope it shows up for anyone to give me some ideas.. I have never done something like this before..

LaurieE 07-06-2010 04:03 PM

There is no standard poster size. 16" x 20" is a standard (large) picture frame size. You could always go larger. I would suggest you ask the client what size were they thinking of. Once you have the size, then you can determine the size of the squares and rectangles.

Then you would need to determine if you are going to put a border around it. That would add to the final size.

Based on your photo, it is 12 squares wide x 16 squares long. If you made each square 2" x 2", the size before a border would be 24" x 32" (calculation: 2" x the number of squares) without a border.

mom-6 07-06-2010 04:06 PM

A sheet of posterboard is 22" x 28".

Doing the 2" squares as mentioned above would come out only slightly larger.

ktbb 07-06-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
Based on your photo, it is 12 squares wide x 16 squares long. If you made each square 2" x 2", the size before a border would be 24" x 32" (calculation: 2" x the number of squares) without a border.

don't forget that if you're piecing the squares you need to consider the seam allowances..so, in LaurieE's scenario, if you want squares to finish at 2 inches (for a finished hanging of 24X32) you have to cut them 2.5 inches and use quarter inch seams.

stefanib123 07-06-2010 04:56 PM

I loved Super Mario when I was a kid!

I definitely want to see this when you are finished!

aneternalpoet 07-06-2010 08:16 PM

thanks for all the help! I will post a photo when it is done.. going to our super walmart in the morning to buy fabric, because the client who wanted me to make it, only wants solids in the same colors as the photo.. Hopefully, I can find some cheap, as I only have $20 dollars for both batting, backing, and solids.. Eeks, keep fingers crossed I can get what I need with that 20 dollars, ok? Would greatly appreciate knowing someone is backing me up with good thoughts, lol!

littlehud 07-06-2010 08:21 PM

Good thought coming you way. I know you can do it. Keep us posted on your progress.

aneternalpoet 07-06-2010 09:26 PM

thank you! I will accept your good thoughts, lol..

jetnica 07-06-2010 09:29 PM

This looks like a fun project!! Good luck with your supplies hunt in the morning - and be sure to post pics when you're finished!

aneternalpoet 07-06-2010 09:33 PM

will do that! I wish I lived in a big city, lol, where places are numerous to buy from. Sometimes Walmart just doesnt fit the bill, but , well, its what we have within my budget today.. I wish there were a place that would automatically deposit fabric in every concievable color right in my mailbox, lol.. until then, I will keep creating with what fabric I have, or what clothes, ect I can cut up ( when no longer wearable as a clothing item I mean )... thanks for the encouragement!