Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In Desperate need of ideas....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/desperate-need-ideas-t310855.html)

LillyMillington 05-04-2020 01:15 PM

In Desperate need of ideas.......

So five years ago there was a fire at my house and I've had a dry spell the last few. I think I've made maybe 2 quilts and I really want to find my passion for quilting again. I have a dear friend that I love and I want to give him something special. Let me see your current works in progress or your favorite colors. Liven up my day!

Iceblossom 05-04-2020 01:21 PM

Hello and well met, I'm in Seattle but waving from a safe personal distance.

I found this board about 2 years and get so many ideas and inspiration from our fellow board members I have seriously given up any quilting magazines, think the last one lapsed maybe 6 months ago and hasn't been missed . We have the Pictures forum over here:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/

I recently put together an album of my unfinished tops... some of them have been around a decade or more but others are more recent.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums20314.html

That wore me out, eventually I'll try to put one together of finished tops. Good news is I have many many more tops that are finished quilts, but a lot of that is on old fashioned film.

wesing 05-04-2020 03:57 PM

Welcome to the board!

Here’s a link to the first half of the QB gallery. If you are interested in a particular pattern you can see several examples here. If not, you can cruise the pictures area and see pics as they were posted.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...m-t309137.html

Rff1010 05-05-2020 03:39 AM

I'm also having a bit of a dry spell right now but I'm blaming everyone best friend Corona. I think the big thing would be to choose something easy and finishable. How about a dissappearing 9 patch with a.novelty fabric? Something that will make your friend laugh. Sports teams, star wars, bugs bunny ... Fabric is all out there and just waiting for you!

aashley333 05-05-2020 04:14 AM

I am having trouble starting a long term project. Just can't seem to focus lately. I have been making zippered bags and turning unfinished baby quilts into larger personal quilts.

Thank you, Iceblossom, for the inspirations. I bookmarked your photos!

IrishgalfromNJ 05-05-2020 05:33 AM

I've been busy sewing curtains and making kitchen items to match. I bought a bolt of navy blue gingham and I'm making tea cozies, pot holders, and stand mixer cover. Love that I can start and finish something in three hours.

Iceblossom 05-05-2020 05:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
When the Covid stuff hit I was in what I called a "hang over" after doing the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt and had lost my mojo. Covid came and that put me in a real funk. That was here in Seattle and was months ago now... took me about 3 weeks or so after lock down began to start sewing again. The reality is that my life is rather isolated anyway by choice, I quilt, I play video games, I read, garden, do other mostly solitary activities and we are doing ok. My hubby is still working, my son is working from home, my DDiL worked for Ikea, but she gets to be home with her new born now so that is pretty awesome! I like to sew/do something fabric related for about an hour a day. Some days more, but I'm prewashing, cutting, piecing, something, so to have had 2-3 months of zero activity is really rare.

I'm also having problems getting going on one of my "serious" projects so am choosing quick small bursts of projects in-between mask making. I really don't want to be making masks at all but the need is there. I'm not counting because I don't want to know but It's somewhere between 20-100. I'm making "walking around masks" for healthy people, it's just an 8.5" by 16" rectangle, sew right sides together along the short edge, turn right side out and slightly off set the seam. Make your three pleats, pin and stay stitch. Since we are out of elastic I've used up all my left over bias quilt bindings. I trim them to 1,5-2" (sadly, jelly roll 2.5" are just too wide and too heavy) and make them into double fold. I cut each side at 36", center on the masks, cover the raw ends and then just zig zag down the length of the tie.

Some days, yeah, I'm making myself do things and my heart isn't in it so much. That's usually my mask making days! But sometimes I'm working with my stash, either organizing it or getting it into a bigger mess pulling pieces for other people. This can be a good time to look at your UFOs or maybe kit up a few projects/at least put fabrics together. If you have unfinished tops, do you have binding and backing to go with them?

This week I'm preparing some tops/backs to go to a beginning long armer who needs some practice pieces. Two of them from my Unfinished album (Wonky Bright and Confetti) are going, along with some of my thrift store purchases that I didn't even count in my unfinished because I didn't make them. Tops that end up in the thrift store often have various issues. Since I didn't put in the initial work, I don't mind putting in a few additional fixes and things here and there. A lot of time they need a backing, and are just larger than one width of fabric. Other times they are an awkward size and need something added or taken away. And some times they are just so bad they can't be saved accept for the usable fabric!

So the Bright Thrift top, came to me in two pieces. It was very long and skinny, I think they got carried away putting even numbers of blocks together and actually meant to have one more width row than it does and be shorter, but there were workmanship issues (a lot of double sewn seam, so a 1/4" seam plus a second on the 1/2", and I wasn't going to take apart. But I was willing to cut some off one end... Top was less than $5, the large scale bike back was another less than $5 thrift store buy and I think it goes better with this top than anything else I can think of, and I added the elephant border.

The Turtle Panel was another thrift store buy, as was the backing fabric. I originally was going to use a piece of turtle fabric I had in my stash but it was too small and figured this was the perfect opportunity for the large print.

Today's project is a simple rail fence, think I got this for less than $2, it had a skinny flimsy poly blend broadcloth green border around it that I took off. I think it needs one more set of blocks and I have many of the same fabrics, so I'm going to make them and add probably about an 8" border all around of the dark print up top which will also be the back and binding. You can't see it at all well but it is a dark purple with lighter purple flowers, from VIP Concord, about the same time period as a lot of those fabrics. I'm estimating it to be about a 2-4 hour project, but I spread it through the day in 5 minute bursts :p

juliasb 05-05-2020 05:45 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! You will find thousands of pictures to inspire you on this site. Just keep reading or just drop over to the "pictures" option. Of course I have a small album of pics of some of my quilts. Of course this is not all of them as I have been quilting now for 30+ years. Like you I fell into as slum a number of years where I didn't touch my sewing machine for years. I am back now with a vengeance! I hope you will be able to find your way back to the fulfillment of the art of quilting. Here is a link to one of my albums. https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums20172.html. There is so much more and so many beautiful quilts to be found. Welcome to the QB!