Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Desperately in need of opinions... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/desperately-need-opinions-t92870.html)

Nana Julie 01-22-2011 03:12 PM

I am making a quilt for my youngest daughters soon to arrive son. I'm doing an Overall Sam, but he is going to be colored (with crayons). I found the instructions on the internet, how to make the picture on freezer paper, then iron it to the muslin, then color the picture, then peel off the freezer paper, then between layers of paper towels you iron the coloring into the muslin. My question is, what happens after you wash then throw it in the dryer. Will the wax stay on the muslin since it has been heat set or will it stick to everything else?

feffertim 01-22-2011 03:29 PM

I made one of these quilts, once you set the color by ironing, it will stay on the fabric. Wash it in cold water on gentle and you will be fine. There is a web site black-cat-creations.com that has kits for this and they have good information on that site about this process.

BKrenning 01-22-2011 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Nana Julie
I am making a quilt for my youngest daughters soon to arrive son. I'm doing an Overall Sam, but he is going to be colored (with crayons). I found the instructions on the internet, how to make the picture on freezer paper, then iron it to the muslin, then color the picture, then peel off the freezer paper, then between layers of paper towels you iron the coloring into the muslin. My question is, what happens after you wash then throw it in the dryer. Will the wax stay on the muslin since it has been heat set or will it stick to everything else?

I made a quilt similar to what you are trying with Sesame Street characters. Color hard & you may want to color again after you heat set it once. When it is washed, dissolve the laundry detergent in the water before putting the quilt in. Ask me how I know? I re-colored the spot and heat set it again. It worked!

This was one of the very first quilts I made.

Summer's Quilt--Crayon on Muslin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165652[/ATTACH]

amma 01-22-2011 03:38 PM

Heat setting leaves the color in, and the wax will be on the paper. It will not come off in the wash onto anything else :D:D:D

mcdaniel023 01-22-2011 05:20 PM

My aunt made an ABC quilt like that for my brother when he was born. It went everywhere with him. He is 33. His kids loved that quilt and used it everytime they were at Grammy's. They are 11. The blocks still look good. The polyester fabric is still in good shape, too. LOL.

mom-6 01-22-2011 08:49 PM

When I was in HS back in the eary 60s, I helped finish a state flowers quilt my mom and her sister had started back in the 30s. It had the outlines on the muslin blocks which were colored directly on the muslin with crayons, then ironed between two pieces of waxed paper and finally embroidered (outline stitch and some French knots). It got washed and dried reqularly til finally that 1930s muslin started splitting sometime in the late 80s early 90s. The crayoned part was still looking good.