Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Detergent for washing fabric and quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/detergent-washing-fabric-quilts-t185905.html)

Yosamitesa 04-13-2012 07:50 AM

Detergent for washing fabric and quilts

Just curious to see what detergent others use when washing their fabrics or quilts. I use Woolite on gentle cycle (no fabric softener in the wash) then a bouce free dryer sheet (to avoid static) when I wash mine. :)

jcrow 04-13-2012 08:12 AM

I paid a lot of money and bought some fancy "quilt" detergent that was suppose to be very mild. I used it once. I have a whole container of it left. I use my Tide and it works just fine. I don't put much in the wash, just a couple of tablespoons. All my quilts have come out fine. I think the fancy one has turned into one big blob inside the bottle. It's just fabric, so I decided to go the easy way. I know the people that get my quilts will wash them with laundry soap anyway.

Lori S 04-13-2012 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5137833)
I paid a lot of money and bought some fancy "quilt" detergent that was suppose to be very mild. I used it once. I have a whole container of it left. I use my Tide and it works just fine. I don't put much in the wash, just a couple of tablespoons. All my quilts have come out fine. I think the fancy one has turned into one big blob inside the bottle. It's just fabric, so I decided to go the easy way. I know the people that get my quilts will wash them with laundry soap anyway.

I am with you on this issue , I throw mine in the wash with Tide as well. I do reduce the quanitity of detergent.

irishrose 04-13-2012 08:24 AM

My usual Cheer.

Raggiemom 04-13-2012 12:15 PM

If it's a gift for someone or a charity quilt, I use Tide Free. Otherwise, regular Tide or Gain.

DogHouseMom 04-13-2012 12:17 PM

I don't alter my detergent for quilts or pre-washing fabric. I use Arm & Hammer.

I might alter the amount I use ... just not the brand.

bearisgray 04-13-2012 12:24 PM

I use Tide, Dreft or Shaklee Laundry Detergent. I avoid anything that says "bleach"

I use tepid or cool water for washing a finished quilt - and try to go easy on the agitation - I feel that's what is really hard on a quilt - and dry on Permanent Press in the dryer until barely dry.

Annaquilts 04-13-2012 12:27 PM

All Free I am allergic to fabric softner, dryer sheets and many scented laundry detergents. My son's dermatolagist recommended All Free. When I donate or gift quilts I also use All Free. Normal cycle warm and dry on medium heat.

auntpiggylpn 04-13-2012 12:56 PM

I pre-wash my fabrics the same as if I were doing any other laundry, minus the fabric softner. I wash my quilts and quilts that I am going to gift the same way that the reciever is going to wash them. Warm water, Tide, Downy and put them in the dryer on medium.

Grandma Peg 04-13-2012 12:56 PM

Wash it with my regular wash.