Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Determined!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/determined-t239259.html)

Dreaming 01-20-2014 12:02 PM

Determined!!!!!

I don't know how many times I have said this, but I am determined to learn how to machine quilt on my sewing machine. I know it's practice, practice, practice, but do you ladies/gentelmen have any tips that can help me on my journey? Books? Tapes? Classes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LivelyLady 01-20-2014 12:28 PM

Google Drag Queen Feathers for a tutorial that for me is the easiest technique. Also, Google Leah Day. I still have a lot of practice to do, but every time I practice, it gets a little easier.

Stitchnripper 01-20-2014 12:32 PM

Anything you think will work for you! Some people like to learn in person, some from videos, books, etc. But, no matter which way you go, or all ways, you will still have to practice, practice, and then practice more. Good luck and have fun with it.

quilter711 01-20-2014 12:32 PM

Is there a site that shows how to do pebbles?

GrammaNan 01-20-2014 01:12 PM

There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube, they have helped me. I also learned to turn my machine a quarter turn so that the left side of the machine goes to the back, it helps me see better. I use gloves and I raise the side of the machine that is to the back up a little with two door stops, that also helps me see better. I hope this makes sense.

Tartan 01-20-2014 01:32 PM

The most valuable tool for me was being able to control the speed on my machine. I set it to half and put the pedal to the metal. This allows me to concentrate in moving my hands and quilt in a smooth manner.

luana 01-20-2014 04:10 PM

Do lots and lots of Quilts for Kids. They are a smaller size, you can do a simple meander, you will be motivated to do your best, and when they are done, you send them away and never see them again, BUT the kids who get them will not ever complain about your quilting.

sewplease 01-20-2014 08:38 PM

I really like the Pajama Quilter DVD. :-)

Kwiltr 01-20-2014 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by quilter711 (Post 6523892)
Is there a site that shows how to do pebbles?

. Just google FMQ pebbles. There are several links and you tube videos. Seems easier if you can get the hang of doing loops and get them circular then just work them closer together until they are pebbles :)

Kwiltr 01-20-2014 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dreaming (Post 6523850)
I don't know how many times I have said this, but I am determined to learn how to machine quilt on my sewing machine. I know it's practice, practice, practice, but do you ladies/gentelmen have any tips that can help me on my journey? Books? Tapes? Classes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

. The biggest tip that worked for me is to "look where you are going" when you are stitching. Once you do that you'll find you are much more successful. Also, I found, and still do, that fabric handling control takes practice and discipline. I.e. Don't release control of your fabric until the needle stops stitching and have it stop in the needle down position if possible. When you start to stitch, make sure you are not placing pressure on the fabric against the needle, otherwise, when you begin to stitch, you will get a little jog in your line of stitching. Those are the big ones for me...maybe it will help you.