Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Determining the size??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/determining-size-t114154.html)

emsgranny 04-07-2011 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
When I make lap quilts they're usually around 50-60x70 which is generous, and larger than most pattern books will show.

If you're doing it for a charity auction, etc. I wouldn't worry so much about size as colours and design.

That being said, it's really hard to know what would be appreciated by others as we often get surprises, don't we? :)

Another thing to consider is whether the group has had similar donations before and how well they have profited from them? Or if it's been a disappointment?

I'd hate you to put all your time, effort, and the cost into making your quilt and then discover that this group won't pay a reasonable $$ for your donation. Just something to think about!

Good for you for wanting to do this ... just be sure it's the "right" place and time, so you are not disappointed! :)

You have given me some very good thoughts to ponder!!! Maybe a quilt raffle would be a better choice. I will have to ask some of the sponsors to see if they had ever done it before!!! I may go with a few cheaper items made with fabrics I already have lol maybe small quilts they could take to football games etc. , placemats or tabletoppers.

Thanks for your input - keep it coming!!! :thumbup:

AliKat 04-07-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Well, for me, when making lap quilts I take into account the size of the person it's for.

I call mine Nap Quilts. They have to be long enough to cover and wide enough so that the person can turn and remain covered.

alil

emsgranny 04-11-2011 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
When I make lap quilts they're usually around 50-60x70 which is generous, and larger than most pattern books will show.

If you're doing it for a charity auction, etc. I wouldn't worry so much about size as colours and design.

That being said, it's really hard to know what would be appreciated by others as we often get surprises, don't we? :)

Another thing to consider is whether the group has had similar donations before and how well they have profited from them? Or if it's been a disappointment?

I'd hate you to put all your time, effort, and the cost into making your quilt and then discover that this group won't pay a reasonable $$ for your donation. Just something to think about!

Good for you for wanting to do this ... just be sure it's the "right" place and time, so you are not disappointed! :)

I took your advice and it seems that the quilts arent selling (even in a raffle situation) like they thought they would - I guess the economy is too tough right now). May have to rethink the donation aspect. If I do a quilt it may have to be something that is tied!!! thanks for your suggestion - it sure helped me make some decisions :thumbup: :D

charity-crafter 04-11-2011 04:43 AM

I once donated a couple dolls I made to a fundraiser once. It was to a be a silent auction. They were very nice 22" tall with nice ruffly clothes, and hand crocheted accessaries that matched. I was selling my dolls for $30 each at the time.

I went to the auction and didn't see my dolls out anywhere. I spoke with a person who worked with setting up items and she told me, "oh, xxxx thought it would be a great present for her granddaughter so she donated $5 and kept them both."

QuiltE 04-11-2011 06:14 AM

[quote=emsgrannyI took your advice and it seems that the quilts arent selling (even in a raffle situation) like they thought they would - I guess the economy is too tough right now). May have to rethink the donation aspect. If I do a quilt it may have to be something that is tied!!! thanks for your suggestion - it sure helped me make some decisions :thumbup: :D[/quote]

Oh what a disappointment for you ... though I'm glad that my nudge helped you do some research, so you wouldn't be disappointed later.

If you're wanting to "make" something ... what about some mug rugs with the verse that was posted the other day?

They'd be more affordable for most ... and usable at home or at work or as nice littel gifts for Mother's Day coming up!

MadQuilter 04-11-2011 07:54 AM

My quilts end up the size they end up. By that I mean that I can never "plan" a size because it just won't happen. I pick a block and plan the block. Based on that, I do a layout on grid paper until I have the right proportions (intuitively). Once that is sewn, I decide on the borders. Again - intuitive decision coupled with how much fabric I have. And yes, I have ended with some odd-sized tops before. lol

emsgranny 04-19-2011 12:22 AM

That sounds good to me!!! I am beginning to change my thought process and not be stuck on "bed" size quilts. I like the idea of snuggle time and making it specifically for someone!!! Thanks for all your input cheryl :thumbup: :D

RitaFaye 04-19-2011 12:29 AM

Mine that is in the process will end up 91x91 *LOL* queen size and if it doesn't fit then hubby will have to be cold tee hee hee ........Rita

charity-crafter 04-19-2011 04:45 AM

What did you decide about the fund raiser?

I completely ignored the first question about size and went straight into the fund raiser portion...

I make quilts for 2 groups-QFK's are about 45x50 for younger kids and 50x60 for older kids/teenagers.
and QOV's- 55x60

When I make baby quilts for friends I try to make them 40x45-50 so I don't have to piece the backs.

Fund raiser projects that migh be good: pot holders, tote bags, coaster sets, small things that can sell for less then $10 are good...

Unfortunately people go to these type of sales looking for bargains and not so much for qualtiy.