Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Developing Quilt Patterns - Advice Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/developing-quilt-patterns-advice-please-t213068.html)

kaelynangelfoot 02-05-2013 04:40 PM

Developing Quilt Patterns - Advice Please

I'm in the process of developing some original quilt patterns that I would eventually like to post for sale on sites such as Crafsty, Etsy, etc.

I have purchased some of the more popular quilt patterns to see how they are designed but I have a few questions for anyone willing to answer

What kinds of information do you particularly like to see in a published pattern? Do you prefer diagrams or photos? What are some of the things you really don't like in a published quilt pattern or that turn you off the pattern?

Thank-you in advance for taking the time to answer!

Tartan 02-05-2013 04:59 PM

I like lots of photos or diagrams of the steps with 2-3 three lines of text to explain the step. I don't like big paragraph because I don't tend to read them.

katier825 02-05-2013 05:29 PM

I agree with Tartan...diagrams, photos and easy to understand text. I prefer lists to paragraphs - it's easier to find your place again when interrupted (frequently for me). I also like to see a list of all fabric requirements and all cutting requirements before the assembly instructions start. I hate to have to read several paragraphs only to find additional cutting instructions buried within. I like to have them all cut before I begin assembly. I also prefer easy to read type (arial for instance) rather than serif (times roman), and typed, not hand-written. Yardage/dimensions for multiple size quilts is a nice touch also. :) Almost forgot - pressing tips for particular blocks (if any) are also very helpful!

ArtsyOne 02-05-2013 05:31 PM

I like patterns that are set out like tutorials, with step-by-step photos of everything I need to do.

DebraK 02-05-2013 06:28 PM

know your audience. What level is your pattern aimed at?

NJ Quilter 02-05-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5841149)
I agree with Tartan...diagrams, photos and easy to understand text. I prefer lists to paragraphs - it's easier to find your place again when interrupted (frequently for me). I also like to see a list of all fabric requirements and all cutting requirements before the assembly instructions start. I hate to have to read several paragraphs only to find additional cutting instructions buried within. I like to have them all cut before I begin assembly. I also prefer easy to read type (arial for instance) rather than serif (times roman), and typed, not hand-written. Yardage/dimensions for multiple size quilts is a nice touch also. :) Almost forgot - pressing tips for particular blocks (if any) are also very helpful!

Ditto everything in this post!

Grace creates 02-05-2013 06:59 PM

Simple steps with diagrams. Good Luck

adamae 02-05-2013 08:01 PM

I need to see a section (block) and finished quilt project Easy to follow directions. It's nice to have a pdf link for printing.

Digitizingqueen 02-05-2013 08:06 PM

Pictures and make sure you have a variety of people test the pattern - make sure they are not just telling u it's good to please you you need real unbiased testers before you push them to the public.

Shelbie 02-05-2013 08:06 PM

I like to see finished measurements of components. If the larger quilt is made up of smaller units, I like to know those measurements before I proceed to the next step. Then if I'm off, I can adjust or redo before getting to the end and finding out that parts don't fit.