Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Diagonal stripes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/diagonal-stripes-t286743.html)

susanwilley 03-11-2017 04:37 PM

Diagonal stripes

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions on matching stripes diagonally. They match up just fine and really look good on my design board but when I sew them together the lines are always way off.
Thanks for your help!

Tartan 03-11-2017 05:50 PM

I ran into a pattern similar that matched up perfectly without seams but with the seam allowance sewn, nothing matched. I did not find a solution.

NJ Quilter 03-11-2017 06:03 PM

I don't know how you would do that unless there was an offset incorporated into the instructions to compensate for the seam allowances. Sorry - math is definitely not my strong suit so I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that either.

Jane Quilter 03-11-2017 06:27 PM

I would "fussy cut" each square, matching the patch corner points ie the points that are 1/4" in from the edges, then add the 1/4 in seams when cutting that one patch. A lot of templates, like Jinny Beyer, have a pin hole drilled in their templates at this point to focus on sewing from pin hole to pin hole and ignoring the seam allowance.

Peckish 03-11-2017 06:41 PM

I'm kind of confused. In your picture, it looks like you have 3 fabrics sewn diagonally: a white fabric, a pink and blue print, and a yellow print. Then you have cut it into squares. Am I correct so far? And now you want to sew the squares together, with the seams matching. But why? Wouldn't your top then look exactly as it did before you cut it into squares? I guess I don't understand what look you're going for....

Jingle 03-11-2017 08:20 PM

I am confused too.

susanwilley 03-12-2017 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7782444)
I'm kind of confused. In your picture, it looks like you have 3 fabrics sewn diagonally: a white fabric, a pink and blue print, and a yellow print. Then you have cut it into squares. Am I correct so far? And now you want to sew the squares together, with the seams matching. But why? Wouldn't your top then look exactly as it did before you cut it into squares? I guess I don't understand what look you're going for....

Yes there are 3 fabric strips sewn together. This is the tube method. Two 2 1/2 strips sewn together with a 4 1/2 strip sewn into a tube. They are cut diagonally to create the triangles that make up the blocks. It creates a diagonal square in a square without having to sew them together diagonally. I am just trying different placements of the triangles for a different look. I like the stripes just can't get them sewn together. Probably didn't explain that very well. Do a YouTube search on tube quilting, that will help you understand what I am trying to do.
Thanks for trying to help!

susanwilley 03-12-2017 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7782444)

I meant squares not triangles in my first reply.

Snooze2978 03-12-2017 04:05 AM

Just watched a couple videos on youtube on how to my continuous bias tape and between the two videos one stated to mark your 1/4" all along each edge and then make a hash mark at every diagonal line, then put your pin at these crosshairs. Worked like a charm for me as it didn't look like it would match up to me at first. Every line matched up though so I'm thrilled. 1st time making bias seam binding.

Gay 03-12-2017 06:05 AM

I'm kinda baffled too. Why not just sew strips together, on the diagonal and be done?