Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dialysis Patients Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dialysis-patients-quilts-t154088.html)

Ann63 09-19-2011 04:49 AM

I have a request for quilters. While making a quilt for my aunt on dialysis, I searched to see if there were in organization that make quilts for dialysis patients. I could not find one. My aunt is always saying how cold it is there and althought at her center they do give them blankets, they are still cold. I read on the internet with cutbacks some hospitals have stopped passing out blankets to dialysis patients who come in for day treatments, they have to bring their own. So I am requesting to my fellow QB members that we make a quilt for at least one dialysis patient for Christmas. My goal is 10, so far I have 3 tops done.

dakotamaid 09-19-2011 04:58 AM

Good idea, I'm in, our local hospital has a chemo unit. You have motivated me to do at least 5. Thank you.

eparys 09-19-2011 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ann63
I have a request for quilters. While making a quilt for my aunt on dialysis, I searched to see if there were in organization that make quilts for dialysis patients. I could not find one. My aunt is always saying how cold it is there and althought at her center they do give them blankets, they are still cold. I read on the internet with cutbacks some hospitals have stopped passing out blankets to dialysis patients who come in for day treatments, they have to bring their own. So I am requesting to my fellow QB members that we make a quilt for at least one dialysis patient for Christmas. My goal is 10, so far I have 3 tops done.

Dialysis Patients are usually told to wear warm clothes and bring a blanket as well. I recently made a large quilted bag for my BFF's 90 y/o Mom who is on Dialysis that carries all her stuff to dialysis. It has several pockets and a clear plastic pocket to carry her Insurance card in. Large enough for her blanket and snack.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45603-1.htm

I made a quilt for former student that was black, red and white - with a black flannel backing so that it could be clean and not stained looking.

Ann63 09-19-2011 05:38 AM

I love your bag, that's a good idea. I know a lot of people already have charity quilts they make. I thoght this would be a good idea to get rid of some of our UFOs. I have a lot of flannel I can use for backing. Thanks.

Bonbonary 09-19-2011 06:58 AM

I also made a quilt for a dialysis patient because she was always so cold. I backed it with flannel & used leftover fabric for a bag. Wish I had thought to put a pocket in for insurance card, etc.

justme CA 09-19-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ann63

What size would be right for this type quilt? I am interested in doing some too.

Ann63 09-19-2011 08:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The ones I have done are about 45x60. If anyone has any suggestions, please post them. I still consider myself a beginner so this is new to me. I will post pictures when my camera finish charging.

Antdebby1 09-19-2011 09:03 AM

What a wonderful thing to do! My husband will be a dialysis patient in the very new future, so I will make him a quilt. He is always cold now because of blood thinners. I can't imagine how cold he will be once he starts dialysis.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestion!

carmen garcia 09-19-2011 09:54 AM

My husband is on dialysis. He is always saying how cold it gets in there. They could all use a nice warm quilt.

IAmCatOwned 09-19-2011 10:25 AM

I saved your link for the bag. What a great idea! I love that the inside has a zipper. Don't know where they do dialysis around here. It's not at either hospital that I've ever seen, but then, if you aren't looking for it, it probably doesn't jump out at you.