Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Diamond lattice trouble (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/diamond-lattice-trouble-t262323.html)

Peckish 03-08-2015 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by lainealex (Post 7120261)
I'm still not sure what will happen as I sew one strip to the next as the bias ribboning seems to accumulate as I sew more and more strips.

A walking foot might help with that.

Jingle 03-09-2015 03:38 AM

I would just avoid them if they didn't go together very easy. Guess I am a chicken.

Geri B 03-09-2015 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by lainealex (Post 7120261)
Everyone has been extremely helpful, thank you all. I got some starch today and have managed to make one strip of diamonds with lattice. It sure is flat. Basically acting like paper.

I'm still not sure what will happen as I sew one strip to the next as the bias ribboning seems to accumulate as I sew more and more strips. But here's hoping...

Lainey

Are you cutting the lattice on bias too? I don't think that's necessary......do those SOG.....that will help control the bias edges of your diamonds.....also cut your diamonds from strips that gives you 2 SOG edges, 2 bias...helps too.....looks like a fun project......are you using inklingo for template

AZ Jane 03-09-2015 07:30 AM

Jane Austen, Cassandra, and their mother sewed patchwork when they lived in Chawton. They used templates for English Paper Piecing. There was no preference for sizes which were easy to measure, because they weren’t measuring.
As a result, the shape and size of the diamonds and sashing are tricky for modern quilters.

BettyGee 03-09-2015 07:57 AM

I've found that if I starch before I cut, and watch the bias, I have a better chance of making things fit together. It takes a little longer, but it is worth every spritz. Linda Franz is a genius and that quilt is just amazing. I wish you all the best as you finish your art.

M cubed 03-09-2015 09:53 PM

Have you considered using the 'Square-in-a-Square' technique by Jodie Barrows? She sells a specialized ruler that is fantastic and usable for diamonds, squares and rectangles. It is an easy method to use and extremely versitle. A little pricey, but I think its worth every penny. I have made several quilts with this method and they came out great. I know I sound like an advertisement, but I really like the method. Makes wonderful pieces borders also. The best part - Bias edges are easy to deal with.

Geri B 03-10-2015 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey (Post 7120137)

I have this die and am currently working on ( sporadically) 6 pointed stars on diamond backgrounds.....all set in Y seams, but using Kaye woods method of doing them.....easy peasy-ier than stopping at 1/4" edges......and am not starching.....working along well....... I like that diamond lattice......might just keep cutting these diamond shapes for that too........