Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Diary of a ~Mad Quilter~ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/diary-%7Emad-quilter%7E-t286518.html)

cashs_mom 03-09-2017 10:36 AM

I had a time when I had gone thru some very tough times emotionally and wasn't able to sew at all. When things started to level out and I felt like sewing, I had no idea what I wanted to sew. I finally started doing just what you are doing. I went into my sewing room and straightened things up. Sometimes I'd even iron a couple pillowcases or sew a button back on. Finally I started feeling creative and got some fabric collections out and laid them on the table where I could see them. Finally, I got some inspiration to get moving and started piecing from a youtube I had watched.

As to you husband's "a big hole you dig in the backyard and throw money in it" attitude towards hobbies, just what does he do with his spare time? Hobbies are not only something to do, they provide a creative outlet, social outlet and personal growth. Tell him to put up or button up. What does he do that provides the same?

Crispy_Frog 03-09-2017 01:33 PM

MadQuilter--I love your name! Sorry for any trademark infringements! I know, baby steps.

cashs_mom--It's really very sad, but funny! My husband is a "wood worker," as much as I am a "quilter." He goes out and buys exotic pieces of wood in all lengths, widths and sizes. He calls them his "fat quarters." (much larger dimensions!) He gets all the magazines and plans and goes to the shows. Our hobbies compliment each other's nicely. All our stuff sits there! He's been trained in the ways of quilting, though. He has his quilt radar. He can spot a quilt store along the road much quicker than I will. He enables my madness! He loves to drive around and asks me to pick out a place. What can I say?

~Crispy~

Onebyone 03-09-2017 05:34 PM

If you have a lunch break at work, take some hand sewing like hexies or yo yos. That is one way to keep interested.

Onebyone 03-09-2017 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog (Post 7777492)
My husband says that a hobby is..." a big hole you dig in the backyard and throw money in it.". By that definition, I have quite a solid quilting hobby!

I assume he was saying it jokingly. Everyone needs something they enjoy for themselves in their life.

zozee 03-09-2017 07:09 PM

I'm so glad to hear your mojo is returning by starting with dejunking and finding your cutting mat.

One thing that helps me when it's hard to get started dejunking is to take pictures of the whole room. Oh, shudder! Then I decide ONE area I want to improve that will be noticeable in a picture. Like you have done the cutting table. Click another photo when it's clear. Then post it here! Or send it to someone you know personally who would cheer you on. I have a niece who sews a LOT, so she totally gets me when I'm overwhelmed by the creative mess AND she gives me all kinds of woo-hoos and happy emojis in her texts . It's just what I need to keep at it. And when I've got clear spaces, I am more than eager to start something. Or to just sit there and stare with a big ole happy face on.

thrums 03-09-2017 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog (Post 7780912)
MadQuilter--I love your name! Sorry for any trademark infringements! I know, baby steps.

cashs_mom--It's really very sad, but funny! My husband is a "wood worker," as much as I am a "quilter." He goes out and buys exotic pieces of wood in all lengths, widths and sizes. He calls them his "fat quarters." (much larger dimensions!) He gets all the magazines and plans and goes to the shows. Our hobbies compliment each other's nicely. All our stuff sits there! He's been trained in the ways of quilting, though. He has his quilt radar. He can spot a quilt store along the road much quicker than I will. He enables my madness! He loves to drive around and asks me to pick out a place. What can I say?

~Crispy~

You are one blessed lady!

thrums 03-09-2017 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 7781083)
I'm so glad to hear your mojo is returning by starting with dejunking and finding your cutting mat.

One thing that helps me when it's hard to get started dejunking is to take pictures of the whole room. Oh, shudder! Then I decide ONE area I want to improve that will be noticeable in a picture. Like you have done the cutting table. Click another photo when it's clear. Then post it here! Or send it to someone you know personally who would cheer you on. I have a niece who sews a LOT, so she totally gets me when I'm overwhelmed by the creative mess AND she gives me all kinds of woo-hoos and happy emojis in her texts . It's just what I need to keep at it. And when I've got clear spaces, I am more than eager to start something. Or to just sit there and stare with a big ole happy face on.

What a great idea. I'm always looking at what yet needs to be done, rather than applause for what I have done. Thanks!

mrshalibut 03-18-2017 03:37 PM

What motivates me is paying (yes, ugh, paying) to go to a shop and do a quilt-with-us day for $5 or $10. I used to think, "well, I can quilt at home for FREE," but now I know better. I get so excited to spend a few hours quilting at the shop, and I have to do a lot of thinking and planning before I go, and make sure I have all my stuff. I don't get distracted or lonely at the store. It really works great!

thrums 03-19-2017 03:31 PM

Crispy_Frog, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

And many thanks to those of you who responded to this "quilter's block" (lack of motivation) post.

All y'all got me quilting again!

Crispy_Frog 03-21-2017 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by thrums (Post 7787411)
Crispy_Frog, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

And many thanks to those of you who responded to this "quilter's block" (lack of motivation) post.

All y'all got me quilting again!

You are so welcome! I know it helped me plus it was fun checking in and looking at all the ideas!