Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did Gingher stop making scissors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-gingher-stop-making-scissors-t238723.html)

coopah 01-13-2014 05:04 PM

Now that's really sad. I have one pair of Ginghers and about 5 Fiskars. The Fiskars aren't nearly as good. Guess I'll have to really protect those Ginghers!

BellaBoo 01-13-2014 05:04 PM

It's like the farms around here. The parents and grandparents pass away and the adult kids want no part of being farmers. They sell the farm land to real estate brokers. I imagine the founders of the manufacturers that stood for quality above all have been taken over by the kids and they want a high profit margin or immediate sale cash.

Sewnoma 01-13-2014 05:10 PM

Ugh, really?? I don't like Fiskar scissors, except for their little 'snip' type scissors.

I'll have to look at my Ginghers. I bought them about a year ago so hopefully they're the originals. I do like how they cut but have to admit eventually my hands get tired and I switch to my Kai scissors.

Mitch's mom 01-13-2014 06:49 PM

I bought a pair of gold Stork Ginghers at Joanne's back in August. I just looked and they are made in Italy. They are nice, but not as smooth as the pair I dropped, breaking the beak.

franc36 01-13-2014 07:04 PM

I have always loved my Gingher scissors that are quite old. Recently, I purchased 2 pairs that I never use. I oiled them; but they are still very difficult to use. After those 2 pairs, I had decided to never buy Ginger scissors again. I do not like Fiskar scissors. At the present, my favorite scissors are KAI.

citruscountyquilter 01-14-2014 03:59 AM

The three pair of Ginger scissors I have with me now were purchased at different times. One is marked Germany, one Mexico and one Italy. The ones marked Germany are the oldest and the other two were purchased about 5 years ago. Will have to research and proceed with caution when I buy scissors it seems.

PS Stitcher 01-14-2014 05:07 AM

Wow!! I had no idea! All of mine were bought at least five years ago and I love them.

costumegirl 01-14-2014 05:39 AM

Hancock's of Paducah sell them - check their website - don't know where they are made but you could call direct and ask.

Caroline S 01-14-2014 05:43 AM

That is interesting krafty14. Your comments sent my to my scissors drawer. I have four Gingher scissors. Two in plain chrome that are stamped Brazil, one designer model Sophia stamped Italy and one with gold handles also stamped Italy.

Weezy Rider 01-14-2014 05:56 AM

Maybe my friend can sell mine, then. I have long, skinny, doublejointed fingers, and cannot use most scissors comfortably since they slide on my fingers. You used to be able to buy inserts for the holes to make them smaller, but not anymore. I use the Fiskars squeeze type for cutting clothes patterns, and for crafts and quilting, I like Havels.
They do have inserts.