Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   DiD I ruin a yard of Fabric? HELP!!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-i-ruin-yard-fabric-help-t116706.html)

QuiltE 04-17-2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
#1 or #3 are my vote, if you have enough "repeats" of the design...

#3 might give a lot of white space blocks ... hard to tell here, without knowing the "size" of the print. I'd sure be checking it out with the mirrors.

The other two might be OK, but you will have less variation, certainly more varied though, than the original turquoise one you started with.

Shorebird 04-17-2011 01:21 PM

Not enough contrast in the fabric for a OBW.....However you can add what you have to other coordinating colors and prints.......would make a nice crazy quilt......

TonnieLoree 04-17-2011 03:03 PM

Of your new fabrics, I choose all of them, as long as you have enough repeats. For your initial attempt, I might try to alternate the triangles with a solid yellow or white. And if nothing else, there's always the next project. NO, you did not ruin a yard of fabric. The only way to do that is to have thrown it away before asking for opinions. :-)

AndiR 04-17-2011 04:32 PM

Of your new fabrics, #1 would be spectacular! Then #3, although there might be a lot of white space. #2 is going to be too much like your first attempt with not enough variation. #4 is hard to say without knowing the actual size of the motifs/repeats.

fabric whisperer 04-17-2011 05:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
she and I are emailing... I'm helping her see the repeats...
this is the visual I just gave her (visual aids for anyone else struggling with OBW's) ~ that's what we're all here for! These are quickies from fabric #3, it just happened to be the first pic on the email she sent me.

repeat marked... this one is a 24-24.5 inch repeat
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185720[/ATTACH]

and these are a couple quick visual samples...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185721[/ATTACH]

QuiltE 04-17-2011 05:11 PM

she and I are emailing... I'm helping her see the repeats...
this is the visual I just gave her (visual aids for anyone else struggling with OBW's) ~ that's what we're all here for! These are quickies from fabric #3, it just happened to be the first pic on the email she sent me.

Now how did you do that?
I'm thinking a specific program?

fabric whisperer 04-17-2011 05:17 PM

yes, I am a graphic designer, so have extra toys you guys won't have... 27 years of working with all sorts of logo design and layout programs... I created these between PhotoShop & FreeHand (a vector-based program, kinda like CAD)

This is one of my ways that I can recreate darn near any pattern out there, and design my own... working on a 4-foot tall Betty Boop applique :) :) :)

This type of ability makes teaching super easy!

QuiltE 04-17-2011 05:22 PM

yes, I am a graphic designer, so have extra toys you guys won't have... 27 years of working with all sorts of logo design and layout programs... I created these between PhotoShop & FreeHand (a vector-based program, kinda like CAD)

This is one of my ways that I can recreate darn near any pattern out there, and design my own... working on a 4-foot tall Betty Boop applique :) :) :)

This type of ability makes teaching super easy!

You're going to now have everyone wanting you to do this for them in the future! :)

fabric whisperer 04-17-2011 05:27 PM

ROFL ~ shoulda keep my mouth shut? LOL I am thinking of making a tute, the problem is, I know the mechanics of an OBW, its simple geometry to me... but I have not made one yet LOL. I have a very analytical mind... I get teased, most people can either create, or do math... Ok, spilling the beans here... I am 51% left-brained and 49% right brained... very few like me out there... so I am blessed with both, and loving every minute of it!

QuiltE 04-17-2011 05:29 PM

ROFL ~ shoulda keep my mouth shut? LOL I am thinking of making a tute, the problem is, I know the mechanics of an OBW, its simple geometry to me... but I have not made one yet LOL. I have a very analytical mind... I get teased, most people can either create, or do math... Ok, spilling the beans here... I am 51% left-brained and 49% right brained... very few like me out there... so I am blessed with both, and loving every minute of it!

Exactly where I went .... she's going to regret this!

I solved the problem the other day and bought two mirrors at the $ $tore ... $2 and I've got my high tech method in tact!!!! :)

I thought that fabric would be terrific ... was just hesitant on the white open space. Instead it's going to give the quilt a beautiful crisp look. The other colours are gorgeous!