Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you ever? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-ever-t310765.html)

Three Dog Night 04-27-2020 11:06 AM

Did you ever?

I was getting ready to start cutting for my next quilt project and got out my Stripology ruler and rotary cutter. I decided since I have been doing a lot of quilting lately I should change the blade in my cutter, in fact I changed the blade in both my favorite cutters. I started having problems with the Stripology ruler making my cuts that I have never experinced before and was getting alot of strings of fabric, switched cutter and same problem, went to using regular ruler and same problem. I am now over 75% done cutting strips (a real struggle) when I look at my rotary cutters and discover that I had 2 blades stuck together in both, did I feel dumb. Took out extra blades and finished cutting fabric, wish I would have discovered sooner.

Anniedeb 04-27-2020 11:21 AM

Absolutely! Just did it. Changed blade in my rotary cutter, and thought I had grabbed a used blade. Cut, complained, kept cutting, complained some more, went to change it, was very careful, and when removing the blade realized there were two blades!

I think we all have done this at one time or another!

Iceblossom 04-27-2020 01:13 PM

Oh, the two blade thing is just the two blade thing! Happens to all of use sooner or later. Good thing is you figured it out fairly quickly -- you weren't even done with the project yet.

I believe in swapping out my blades regularly and try to buy bulk packages, but I always wait just a little too long before switching... and then when I do I almost instantly nick the new blade scraping my ruler or running over a pin or something.

juliasb 04-27-2020 02:45 PM

You are not alone when doing this. We had this discussion not that long ago at a guild meeting. I thought I was the only one that did this. I discovered about 1/3 of us were in the same boat. The oil in between each blade sets a bit of a vacuum. They will slide apart but it often looks like you are only claiming a single blade. Welcome to the club.

SusieQOH 04-27-2020 02:46 PM

Yes! I think I even did it more than once :)

tranum 04-27-2020 02:55 PM

I was packing up for a retreat so I asked DH to put a new blade in for me. Yep.
I came home disgusted with my “new” blade that wasn’t performing well !!

bearisgray 04-27-2020 02:58 PM

I have had " old" packages of blades and I could not get the blades to slide apart. I put the clump into boiling water and then the blades slid apart. I did oil the blades again when I took them out of the water.

Jingle 04-27-2020 03:31 PM

Very aggravating. I have done that a couple times. I never cut long, when I see the skinny thread I instantly know what is wrong.

sandilee 04-27-2020 09:13 PM

Oh my, how hilarious! This happened to me today! Cutting flannel and blade was stubborn. I couldn't figure out why cause it was a new blade. I took it apart thinking lint or dirt was embedded and to clean it and there were 2 blades! I swear I threw the old one away, but guess I did't. Glad I'm not the only one!

quiltingcandy 04-27-2020 09:34 PM

A few years ago I bought so many new blades - it seemed like people were forever posting sites with great prices. So how do you pass up a good deal? Not sure, but I think at one time I had over 50 blades. And after a while the lubricant they use on them sticks them together. So when I change blades I have to use a hair dryer or set an iron on them to get them apart. Otherwise they stick together and it is hard to see if there is one or two, but once in the cutter, you can tell real fast.