Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you ever wish you were the fabric buyer for your LQS? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-ever-wish-you-were-fabric-buyer-your-lqs-t35962.html)

butterflywing 02-05-2010 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Nope - not even the slightest interest.

nope. not me either!

sounds too much like work.

quiltlady37 02-05-2010 04:53 PM

Right now our LQS is stocking many of the really wild colors and designs. I am not crazy about those fabrics, but there are still some that are more traditional and I can usually find something that I like.

nellebelles 02-06-2010 12:40 AM

No interest at all! It would feel like too much pressure to try to please everyone. I tend to be a people pleaser anyway, and that would make me go nuts! The only reason I would even think about it for a second, is to be able to see what lines are available, so I know what to look for when I am ready to increase my stash or start another quilt.

mar32428 02-06-2010 06:11 AM

Yes, but they would have all blues.

Zoe 02-06-2010 06:16 AM

Our local shop has fabric that is just dull. My favorite shops are located in LaPlata, Maryland. When you walk in, you are bombarded with color and design that gets your juices running and ideas flowing. Whenever our little group needs a "pick-me-up" we drive from Virginia to LaPlata (about an hour's drive) just to get incentive and to meet the wonderful shop staff.

Barb_MO 02-06-2010 06:29 AM

Are you the buyer at Favorite Fabrics or just the manager?

dkabasketlady 02-06-2010 07:13 AM

Yes, if only to feel the fabric.

charismah 02-06-2010 07:47 AM

AT my LQS...The owner specifically calls on certain people to come in and choose fabric....One of our instructors is a very artsy kind of quilter with more ecclectice taste, the owner is more traditional, ME and the owner's daughter are the ones who like the more hip and modern styles and then we have a few older ladies that work with us to pick the soft pastels and one of them likes alot of wild crazy patterns. So there is always a good mix of stuff at our shop....so sometimes when stock comes in some of us say : Who picked out this?

Donna Hall 02-06-2010 09:46 AM

I have been at my LQS when a salesman is there. And the owner has asked me to join her. I have been able to select some fabric, and I tell her when something is what I call "throw up" fabric. It can be a lot of fun just to see what is out there.

amma 02-06-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Glad you like the questions, Wendy! It was nice of you to say so.

I'm thinking that most shops (at least the ones I've been to) wind up developing a particular style, in that they tend to lean toward a particular type of fabrics. And it probably reflects the owner's preferences. Though, in the end, it's really about satisfying the customers' taste.

I have noticed this too... However when I was in Louisville, KY last time, the quilt shop owner's there all "specialize" so it does make it nice to be able to go to one shop for more selections, and no one is stepping on another's toes, so to speak. And each shops "specialities" do reflect the owner's preferences :D:D:D