Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-learn-sew-home-ec-t148869.html)

Pies mom 08-29-2011 03:15 PM

I learned to sew in Jr. High.....now they call it middle school. I made most of my clothes through out high school and did alterations for college classmates and dorm mates....gave me the extra spending money. Of course that was when the hem lines were going up! It seems to me that sewing and cooking classes aren't offered much any more in schools. I signed up for my first quilting class about 15 years ago and couldn't wait for the class to start so I had my friend help me do a log cabin Christmas tree wall hanging.

EmsMom 08-29-2011 03:17 PM

Yes, in HS, but that was YEARS ago LOL Do they even still teach "Home Ec"? I never sewed much after that at all. I just started the last year getting interested in sewing/quilting. I need to probably take a class in both.

Crqltr 08-29-2011 03:17 PM

Yup..took home ec all four years of high school..hated it then but it was a easy a and back then the a is what it was all about!!

blueangel 08-29-2011 03:18 PM

Yes in High school.

Lindsey 08-29-2011 03:18 PM

yes i learned to sew in high school. we went to jr high at the high school it started 7th through 12th. I had home economics and loved cooking and sewing. I made a yellow dress that buttoned down the front with a gathered waste. Got a b+.. Not bad for a first project.. somethings we just never forget.

quiltsillysandi 08-29-2011 03:19 PM

Yep, I did...My first sewing project was a skirt, then made clothes throughout high school and into my 40's....Now I just quilt, crafts, ect....

deedum 08-29-2011 03:22 PM

no, I already knew how by the time I got to home ec. I watched my mom cut out patterns and such, she passed away young when I was a kid. Lucky me, that I could pick that up by just watching her, and years later retain it like I did.
That also went for cooking,baking. Just took after my mom. I think she would be proud.

ctack2 08-29-2011 03:23 PM

Yep - Jr High. Made clothes for myself and my little sisters for years. Made my own holiday dresses, new years eve formals, graduation dress, etc.
Talking about the hemlines going up and up.....I had a boyfriend whose mother worked in a dry cleaners at one point during that time. I had made myself an empire waist, dark blue or purple velvet dress for Christmas and took it to her to press it for me. It had those puffy sleeves that had elastic at the cuff. When I picked it up, she said that was the first time she had ever pressed a dress that had sleeves longer than the dress! lol
Carol B

lindy 08-29-2011 03:25 PM

Jr. High. Made an a-line skirt. My teacher helped fit it. She said 'You have no backside to work with'. Wish that was still true! LOL

auntpiggylpn 08-29-2011 03:27 PM

I was sewing by the age of 7-8 so I was more advanced than the other students by the time I got to Home Ec class!