Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you quilt your holiday gifts on time? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-quilt-your-holiday-gifts-time-t210223.html)

quiltswithdogs 01-06-2013 03:04 AM

Did you quilt your holiday gifts on time?

Did you get your gifts quilted in time to give for Christmas? What did you make?

I made market totes with beautiful fabrics of food. In more and more counties in California, plastic bags are not being given at any stores...grocery stores, Target, Walmart, even dept stores. Since the 4 counties represented by my family all had announced this ban would start on January 1st, my bags were much appreciated. The stores will sell one of theirs $.99 - $1.99 or more, but hey, these are unique and made by somebody with love!

Oh, and yes, I made and had them all wrapped in time for our big family Christmas Party. Unfortunately, I still haven't finished my own! I'd better do it now while my car's in the shop and I can't go to any store.

Cathy
PS: I forgot to mention that although the grocery stores do still offer the brown paper bags, there is a charge for those. I've heard it's anywhere from $.10-$.50; nobody knew and I haven't been to a store yet to see. I also don't know what other states are starting this ban too. It's for the environment so I don't mind. It'll just take a couple times to remember to bring the bags from the car into the store. I'm going to make myself 3 as I have 2 small cheap Walmart bags already.

hopetoquilt 01-06-2013 04:41 AM

Very interesting about the bags. I use reuseable ones except for with meat where I worry about bacteria. New Jersey has not passed any laws yet that I know of.

I didn't make any gifts this year because I didn't want to feel the pressure to get them done. One exception was that I made crayon roll-ups for the kids in my sons class. There are only 9 kids and I made them in an afternoon. One of the parents actually wrote me a thank you and the occupational therapist wrote a note about how much she loved them (within the thank you note for her gift card). I may make her one too.

mic-pa 01-06-2013 04:49 AM

yes, I got everything done but really did not do as much as I usually do. No pressue

judylg 01-06-2013 04:53 AM

I like the idea of the totes for groceries. Here, am Canadian, so many of the stores charge for bags. I can understand the reasoning behind it. But have found the bags are thinner than they were and sometimes by the time I get them home the bag is torn. I hate to think stores profiting from bag sales, but I think they may be. Unfortunately that is the way things go and we pay. I like the reusable bags for groceries and I like them even better when I take them into the store when I get groceries. And I like it that they can be washed. Enough complaining from me on a Sunday morning.lol

mighty 01-06-2013 08:13 AM

I did get everthing done on time! Did not do anything big for Christmas, mostly pot holders, potato bags, ect.

bjgallent 01-06-2013 08:28 AM

Yes, I got done all that I had planned on doing. I made some "snap" bags, embroidered on aprons and sweatshirts, and made about 25 USB or chapstick holders. I put a tube of chapstick in each one. Just used scraps for those. I also used the iron on velcro for a closure instead of sew on type. If you iron for the full 90 seconds, it really does hold. Also made 5 batches of cold process soap and quick breads.

Sierra 01-06-2013 09:46 AM

I worked sooo hard to get quilts done in time for Christmas! Here is the week before Christmas:

Dragon for Gson who is off to college; he designed the dragon and we had bought the fabric together.... if you want to be invisible in a fabric store, take a Gson with you! Long double size. Done!

African quilt for SIL from Ghana... much already had been put together, needed to be bigger and sandwiched and bound. Full Queen size. Done!

Panda panel quilt (chosen by 8 year old Gson), extra stuffing in the right places and especially close quilting. Regular twin size (my first "pillow case turned" quilt). Done!

SW mimbres quilt done for DH and me! Our first bed quilt, the second we have of my quilts. Made with a skirt and corners to fit the foot of the bed. Managed to use us some of my bigger scrapes on this one! Done!

I have arthritis and my hand and hips were hurting sooo badly that DH came to hold and guild my quilts during my machine quilting of them! He is such a sweetie!!!! I ended up quilting standing up, just to relieve my back and shoulders and made a discovery: If you start with a medium weight table and you run the machine with your right foot and stand basically on your left foot, you will take a lot of pounding on that left foot. My ankle was actually bruised and DH spent some time very gently rubbing my ankle. But we got the quilts done in time for our Christmas. I get a gold star, right?

sewingsuz 01-06-2013 09:52 AM

Yes I did get things done. I did make a wall hanging for me, xmas quilt for daughter, Table runner for Mother and one for me. That is all. I wish i could go faster.

quiltswithdogs 01-06-2013 01:21 PM

We can all be so proud of ourselves! But, really, Sierra, you did way too much! and yes, you get a gold star. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis +some Osteo Arth too and never do handwork anymore. My most frustrating problem is fatigue so I just make smaller Christmas gifts.
2000-2010: either I made one person something special or I didn't quilt at all, if my fingers didn't work.
2011: potholders with fabric chosen special for each person.
2012: the great food-fabric market totes.
2013: unknown, but we're drawing names so maybe I can make a wallhanging, lapquilt, table runner or other midsized project. I can't wait to find out which family member I get to make a gift for!
Cathy

jhoward 01-06-2013 02:01 PM

With my daughters help, made 9 octagon table toppers. the week preceding Christmas. My daughter, also sewed several table runners.