Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Didn't plan ahead - need help now! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/didnt-plan-ahead-need-help-now-t238271.html)

Lee in Richmond 01-06-2014 12:32 PM

Didn't plan ahead - need help now!

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to have fun with a sampler quilt. I downloaded 12" blocks and set to work, without thinking about how in the world to sash it... In the closeup picture you can see a few colors laying behind some of the blocks, in the larger pic are all the blocks I have done so far. I don't have enough of any one of these pastels to do 2-1/2" or so sashing. But maybe it should be a deep color? Or do all the horizontal sashes have to be the same color? I am just lost...

lfstamper 01-06-2014 12:34 PM

What about red for sashing? Looks like most blocks have some red in them. Tr a few different colors to see which you like.

frenchfryqueen 01-06-2014 12:35 PM

The quilt can be whatever you want it to be.. there are no police here! :)

I think it would be great with crimson/maroon sashing. There are plenty of blocks with maroon in them to really make it pop. You could do cornerstones at each intersection of a lighter color.. maybe white?

Tiggersmom 01-06-2014 12:37 PM

Not all the sashing has to be the same around each block!! and you could always set them on point for a different look. jmho

quiltstringz 01-06-2014 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by frenchfryqueen (Post 6496906)
The quilt can be whatever you want it to be.. there are no police here! :)

I think it would be great with crimson/maroon sashing. There are plenty of blocks with maroon in them to really make it pop. You could do cornerstones at each intersection of a lighter color.. maybe white?

I agree it is your quilt. However I do think that the red/crimson/maroon would make awesome sashing. You could then use some of your pastels as cornerstones and make them all different.

bigsister63 01-06-2014 12:40 PM

I also think that maroon or crimson sashing would look good. Maybe you could move the blocks around a little and see if you get inspired! Or i might consider a dark brown!

bigsister63 01-06-2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom (Post 6496910)
Not all the sashing has to be the same around each block!! and you could always set them on point for a different look. jmho

actually that is a good idea. on point your 12"bocks become 17" making the top bigger and may not need sashing! Good luck!!!!!

Stitchnripper 01-06-2014 12:48 PM

All great suggestions. I love your blocks. I am one of those who doesn't plan ahead much. Please post a picture when it is done.

Lee in Richmond 01-06-2014 12:52 PM

Thank you for all these ideas! I did try what I thought was a maroon, but it turned the block colors closer to a burnt orange tint. Dark brown might be the answer. I never plan ahead, to be honest, but have always "gotten away with it" heretofore. I am sure this will work out somehow, too.

Jingle 01-06-2014 12:56 PM

If it were mine, I would probably use white or black for the sashings. Your quilt, your way.