Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dies for AccuQuilt Fabric Cutting Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dies-accuquilt-fabric-cutting-machine-t179113.html)

QandE2010 02-12-2012 08:53 AM

Dies for AccuQuilt Fabric Cutting Machine

I am in the process of purchasing an AccuQuilt Go fabric cutting machine. I know many of you have this. So I have a question. If you were to purchase 6 sets of dies to compliment the machine, which ones would you purchase and why? Thanks in advance.

BellaBoo 02-12-2012 09:07 AM

There are so many it would be hard to choose. Look at what's available and decide which shapes you cut the most. I use the 2 1/2" strip cutter, most of the square and half square dies, tumbler block, hex, circle, and lots of whole block dies like DWR, Rose of Sharon, baskets, Sunbonnet Sue, Alphabet, etc. I usually buy the try me dies as they may not be available in stores and not many are made.

mighty 02-12-2012 09:09 AM

I purchase the one I will use the most.

Prism99 02-12-2012 03:02 PM

I like the tumbler die because it makes a hard-to-cut shape easy, plus it lops off the corners making matching much easier. I also really like the triangle dies (in different sizes) because they also lop off the corners, making matching when sewing much easier. Both of these I would place as 1st tier purchases.

A lot of people love the strip cutter dies, and I have them, but I think a June Taylor shape cut makes these a 2nd tier purchase. I don't always need multiple strips of a single fabric. They are good, though, for when you need lots of strips of the same fabric.

patski 02-12-2012 03:25 PM

I would buy the strip and the 1/2 square triangles, but buy as you need them. They are about 1/2 the cost on ebay, brand new and usually NO shipping charge.

lonestardreams 02-12-2012 06:51 PM

I have several I like- the 5 inch square, the 1 1/2 inch, 2 1/2 , 3 1/2 inch strip cutters, the 8 inch square and the 6 1/2 inch square. I'm still very much a beginner. I like the simple cuts and love the way the cuts are all the same. Good luck with your dies.

Mom3 02-12-2012 07:04 PM

The rag cut dies and the heart shape (to go inside the rag cut).

luvTooQuilt 02-12-2012 08:19 PM

My favorites are:
Tumblers - small and large one
2x2 sq for using up my scraps - leaders and enders
2.5x2.5 sq
Rag Dies both small and large one, the shape rag dies
Brick die 3.5x6.5

I have most dies ( no designer appliques tho- no interest) , and i can rotary cut strips faster so my strip dies hardly get used unless im using scraps.. then its just much easier to use the die..

I currently using my big 9in hex... I really like this die too..

AliKat 02-13-2012 06:34 AM

Do you have some quilting buddies you can share with? If so, see what they have and want. Then make your choice.

ali

QandE2010 02-13-2012 09:31 AM

Thanks so much for all your advice and suggestions. It really helps to see what others do. I currently don't belong to a guild or have any buddies to quilt with, as we just recently moved into the neighborhood. However that is a great suggestion, AliKat.