Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Different methods for bargello? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/different-methods-bargello-t80829.html)

cheryl222 12-05-2010 03:35 PM

Just spent the last hour going through the tute from Barb in Virtual section about making a bargello. I also went online and found other explanations. Some make a tube from the strips and cut them apart at the correct block, and hers stacked the fabrics in different ways . Does that all make sense? Anyway, is there anyone that has done the tube method and does it work the same way?

B. Louise 12-05-2010 03:39 PM

I've used the tube method to do Trip Around the World. You can see a tutorial of that at Quiltville.com--Bonnie Hunter's site.
I haven't moved on to the more complex bargello yet.

Sadiemae 12-05-2010 04:35 PM

I make a tube, and cut or unsew depending on the pattern.

cheryl222 12-05-2010 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by B. Louise
I've used the tube method to do Trip Around the World. You can see a tutorial of that at Quiltville.com--Bonnie Hunter's site.

Just curious - did you cut off at the seam allowance or take out the stitches? I saw Elenor Burns cut hers at seams.

Sadiemae 12-05-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl222

Originally Posted by B. Louise

Just curious - did you cut off at the seam allowance or take out the stitches? I saw Elenor Burns cut hers at seams.

I unsew my Trip Around the World quilts.

quiltingaz 12-05-2010 04:42 PM

When I did a bargello I took out the stitches, did not cut the blocks.

Barb_MO 12-05-2010 04:54 PM

Cheryl, I have made one bargello where I had to use the tube method, but I'm not fond of it.
The bargellos I showed in the tutorial have a certain number of fabrics showing at the top of the quilt...I'll say seven. A color goes down seven steps and them back up to the top. And that repeats across the width of the quilt. So if you are going to need strata with only seven different fabrics on the top, I feel that is better to sew those and when you cut then into the widths you need, it saves all that snipping out and resewing. I really have a hard time snipping out a seam at the currect place. Even if I open the tube in the currect place I've been known to sew that strip up side down.

Barb_MO 12-05-2010 04:55 PM

I make all my trip are the world quilt using the same method as I do the bargello.

Sadiemae 12-05-2010 05:58 PM

It can also depend on the pattern or lack of pattern that you are making your bargello with. If I were to do Barb's tutorial, I would do it her way because it is all planned out. It is a beautiful quilt and i may do it someday.

On the other hand, sometimes I want to just have fun with a Bargello. I don't know what the pattern will be and it kind of takes on a life of its' own. Not knowing what I will need until I do it, it would not work for me personally to sew that many different strata(as well as having all of those scraps left over).

cheryl222 12-05-2010 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the input. I guess I just need to get started on one and see it all in action. I still am having a little trouble understanding it all, but I'm going to give it a go!