Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Different threads in same quilt ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/different-threads-same-quilt-t278064.html)

osewme 04-25-2016 06:26 AM

Different threads in same quilt ?

I generally use the same color throughout a quilt but on the quilt I am making right now I find that I'm not going to have enough thread to complete the quilt. I have other spools of very similar colors and I am going to use up what I have for this quilt. Have any of you ever done that or do you always use the same color/brand/type of thread for the whole quilt? I will be mainly quilt it with stitch in the ditch (except for the border). I'm going to use a Quilting Made Easy motif for the border. I love the fact that there are not "rules" in the quilting world. :)

OhCanada 04-25-2016 06:28 AM

I use different thread colours often, both in piecing and quilting.

HillCountryGal 04-25-2016 06:56 AM

Rarely do I use the same thread throughout the quilt. To piece one, I tend to "use up" those bits of spools that only have a little left (constant state of cleaning stuff out) :o As for quilting, I've used more than one color thread to achieve a certain look. Example: a wall hanging I made a while back has stars quilted in blue and red.

CynDiane 04-25-2016 07:04 AM

I use different colours, different threads plenty. If I were to make a quilt I intended to exhibit at shows and perhaps submit it for awards I'd use the same throughout, but if it's just me for I don't really care. I'd rather enjoy the finished product than worry that it's been made with shades of similar threads.

Tartan 04-25-2016 07:35 AM

Today I am piecing on my scrap quilt with cream thread but my bobbin ran out so I slapped in a bobbin with light grey thread.

ManiacQuilter2 04-25-2016 07:53 AM

I very seldom use the same thread when quilting a quilt. I prefer having the thread blend in so that my pieced top is what people look at.

jbud2 04-25-2016 08:19 AM

I do like HillCountryGal. Particularly in scrap quilts where the fabric is all different colors, so why should the thread be the same?

Snooze2978 04-25-2016 08:36 AM

For piecing I use what I have as I'm trying to use up some threads I received from my mother when she moved here. As for threads for quilting I have a nice selection to choose from so its dependent on what I want to use. I've used up to 3 different colors throughout the quilting process changing the bobbin thread to match. Painstaking but oh so worth it to me.

Bree123 04-25-2016 09:21 AM

I've done it both ways, but more often I plan to use different weights & colors of thread throughout the quilt. I do use all 100% cotton threads but that's the only thing I keep consistent. I try to switch thread color by quilting motif/area. So I may switch at the border -- or if I am doing feathered wreaths, curves & circles, I might do all the wreaths in a different thread. Generally, though, I only buy quilting thread in neutral colors. If I switch to something else, it's because I already have that color for my applique work. I piece with only 3 colors: grey, cream/light beige & if working with bleach white fabric, white. I quilt with those 3 colors plus black so I never feel bad about buying more thread in one of those 4 colors. But sometimes it's nice to add a pop of color in my quilting and fortunately, I have around 25 colors to choose from due to my applique threads.

Jingle 04-25-2016 12:05 PM

I usually use one color on quilting.