Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A different way to organize Bargello strips... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/different-way-organize-bargello-strips-t246961.html)

Dina 05-17-2014 12:58 PM

A different way to organize Bargello strips...

2 Attachment(s)
When I made my first Bargello, I organized my strips in baggies after I cut them. I had a lot of trouble keeping the bags in order, even though each was labeled.

My son suggested I use a spiral notebook and put the strips in order, sort of like bookmarks. This suggestion has worked very well for me, so I wanted to pass it on. I have just taken pictures, which may or may not help. :) The neatest thing is that I have cut four strips from 21 different fabrics, and I have them all in a notebook that I can pick up and move without getting them out of order.

Works great for me. Maybe it could work for someone else.

Dina

Jeanne S 05-17-2014 01:01 PM

Great idea! I hope to try a Bargello one of these days, they sure are pretty!

QuiltnNan 05-17-2014 01:06 PM

thanks for the tip

quiltingbuddy 05-17-2014 01:12 PM

Wow, that seems like a clever way to organize for it. I have not done a Bargello myself YET, but when I get around to it I will know how to manage it :thumbup: Thanks for sharing!

Grandma Bonnie 05-17-2014 01:47 PM

I hope I remember this when I get around to making a bargello! Looks like a good idea!

coopah 05-17-2014 04:21 PM

That's one smart son you have! Clever and useful idea. :thumbup:

Dolphyngyrl 05-17-2014 08:57 PM

If you cut a small square off of one of each strips and paste them to a paper and label them in order this really helps you remember what color goes where. Thats what I was taught in a bargello class and it helpped tremendously when taking strips apart at seams, also a design wall helps if you have one. I did mine in sections so I didn't have to line up as much and then joined those sections. I think if I didn't do it this way it would be too easy to flip a strip the wrong direction, especially when colors are so similar

ube quilting 05-18-2014 03:42 AM

This is a great idea for a lot of strip pieced quilts. Compact and organized in a dollar store notebook. You can even keep notes and musings on the pages.:D TFS
peace

ManiacQuilter2 05-18-2014 04:39 AM

Great idea Dina. Thanks for posting.

Dina 05-18-2014 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 6720915)
If you cut a small square off of one of each strips and paste them to a paper and label them in order this really helps you remember what color goes where. Thats what I was taught in a bargello class and it helpped tremendously when taking strips apart at seams, also a design wall helps if you have one. I did mine in sections so I didn't have to line up as much and then joined those sections. I think if I didn't do it this way it would be too easy to flip a strip the wrong direction, especially when colors are so similar

Yup, those two organization plans work well too. I do those also, but the spiral notebook has ended up being a really good way to store the strips before I need them.

I also write the number of each strip on a sticky thing like you label garage sale items with. All of these make the Bargello easier for me.

In fact, I just put my strips on my design wall, and you can see my paper with the fabric in order at the top right of my design wall.....well, next to the top right. The top right thing is my Mother's Day card from my son. :)

Dina