Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Directional Border (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/directional-border-t297493.html)

TexasSunshine 06-09-2018 09:21 AM

Directional Border

I am making a T Shirt quilt (and I hope I never have to make another one) and I am adding borders that are the name of a football team. I am putting the top and bottom borders so the words are right side up when you are looking at them, horizontal across. My question is do I put the side borders with words facing into the center of the quilt or facing out? I just thought I might could make the words go vertically on the sides. Has anyone done this before, need some imput.

ArlaJo 06-09-2018 09:39 AM

I make mine look out , but that's just me. And amen on the T shirt quilt!!!

feline fanatic 06-09-2018 10:15 AM

Will the quilt be used on a bed? And if so will the side borders be hanging off the sides of the bed? If so then I make borders like this so they look "right side up" when viewed from either side of the bed.

nativetexan 06-09-2018 10:30 AM

Feline has a good point. otherwise i would put them facing in.then i could just tilt my head to read either one.
sounds like a cute quilt.

Irishrose2 06-09-2018 11:11 AM

I'd go with the vertical placement.

TexasSunshine 06-09-2018 11:40 AM

I kind of figured it out as I was posted the question. I ended up putting the sides to read vertical. I'm glad I had plenty of fabric. Thanks for the replies. I have never had so many problems with a project as I have had with this quilt. Everything that could go wrong did, nothing matched up and I have spent countless hours on it. This is for my sister so it is a non-paying job. I did not realize how difficult it would be. I have got to longarm quilt it when I finish the back. Hope no problems there.

Mitty 06-10-2018 04:17 AM

I'm sorry you're having problems, and I'll let it serve as a warning to myself not to attempt a T-shirt quilt! Or at least I'll be prepared for what I'm getting myself into.

mhollifiel 06-11-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ArlaJo (Post 8073416)
I make mine look out , but that's just me. And amen on the T shirt quilt!!!

I'll amen your amen! NEVER again!

wildyard 06-12-2018 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mitty (Post 8073815)
I'm sorry you're having problems, and I'll let it serve as a warning to myself not to attempt a T-shirt quilt! Or at least I'll be prepared for what I'm getting myself into.

Aww now, don't despair of making T-shirt quilts. The more of them you make the easier it gets! I have made at least 7 all t-shirt quilts, and a good many more that used one or more t-shirt design areas mixed in with regular fabrics.

Some hints: Stabilize before cutting to your final size, cutting first and trying to add the stabilizer is much harder. Decrease the pressure on your pressure foot, and using a walking foot is very helpful to minimize the foot stretching and distorting the fabric. I quilt the design in the squares before layering, then do some straight line quilting (usually 1/4 in. outline) after layering. I might add some straight line accents to the block after layering also, ie: rays from the design to the corners and sides, crosshatching, etc. Using fleece on the back, instead of batting and a cotton backing, makes both layers more compatible and easier to then quilt.