Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Directions for microwave bag use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/directions-microwave-bag-use-t308704.html)

illinois 12-21-2019 03:22 AM

I'm like Peckish. Cloth doesn't go into my microwave. I think there was a time that corn on the cob was being put into the bags, too. I'd rather leave the husks on and microwave that way. I'm not going to risk putting the cloth creations in there. Not that brave!

QuiltnNan 12-21-2019 04:41 AM

The danger of fire is always first on my mind when I see putting fabric in the microwave. Sometimes I use the microwave for potatoes, but use a plastic cover made for the microwave.

Lee in Richmond 12-21-2019 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by illinois (Post 8343195)
I'm like Peckish. Cloth doesn't go into my microwave. I think there was a time that corn on the cob was being put into the bags, too. I'd rather leave the husks on and microwave that way. I'm not going to risk putting the cloth creations in there. Not that brave!

We use "bowl huggies" that I made, but to put the hot bowl into to carry (or cold, for that matter). We do not microwave the huggy itself.

AZ Jane 12-21-2019 07:30 AM

Not crazy about "cooking" with fabric. I do use the bowl cozies to heat up stuff all the time and I love it. Yes, I put the cozie in the microwave, the purpose of the cozie is to prevent burning fingers. If you have to take a hot bowl out of the microwave and place into a cozie, that defeats the purpose. Never more than 2 minutes at a time, if not heated enough, 2 more minutes

annievee 12-21-2019 08:15 AM

I am with Peckish--It happened to us and I used all cotton--no fabric in microwave. On Martha Stewart show, she said after baking potato in oven or in microwave, to roll it around before cutting--that tip works, potatoes are so nice and fluffed.

Claire123 12-21-2019 08:22 AM

Incredible. Congrats on the fabric purchase. I don't really know on the baked potato bag, but have fun with the new fabric.

vickig626 12-21-2019 08:25 AM

I agree. My personal perfect potato is wash the potato, leave wet and roll up in a paper towel. place in bag. I usually use 2 medium potatoes at a time. Cook on high 4 minutes, let cool down, flip bag over and cook another 4 minutes. In most cases, it turns out perfect. I put a fork in one to make sure it's cooked all the way through. If still a little hard, I roll it back up and cook another minute.

Sweet potatoes turn out perfect too!! very soft inside.

Jules51 12-21-2019 02:24 PM

The recipe that came with my baked potato & veggie bag says-- "Wash and dry your potatoes. !!!
Wrap each potato in a paper towel and place in the bag & microwave as instructed by your manufacturer, usually 5-15 minutes. Time will vary per microwave and the number of potatoes in the bag. Let the bag air dry. !!!"

Peckish 12-21-2019 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 8343298)
I put the cozie in the microwave, the purpose of the cozie is to prevent burning fingers. If you have to take a hot bowl out of the microwave and place into a cozie, that defeats the purpose.

I use microwave-safe bowls. They don't get hot. :thumbup: Or I use hot pads to remove a hot container.