Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dirty Iron - How do I clean it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dirty-iron-how-do-i-clean-t138465.html)

Cheri_J 07-18-2011 04:41 AM

With all the applique I've been doing, I discovered that I've got a dirty iron. I've been trying to clean it after each use, but I've got some sticky stuff that is turning black. My mother-in-law thought I was nuts when I asked for a Rowenta Iron for Christmas and I don't want it ruined. How do I clean it? I thought about Goo-Gone, but it will leave a oily residue. What do you recommend?

bstock 07-18-2011 04:42 AM

Mr Clean magic eraser. or a used dryer sheet.

Ripped on Scotch 07-18-2011 04:43 AM

iron a dryer sheet... it really does work.

Zhillslady 07-18-2011 05:07 AM

I buy the hot iron cleaner. Comes in a tube with a polishing cloth also. Made by Rowenta

ckcowl 07-18-2011 05:20 AM

there's probably as many answeres as there are irons- i've heard of salt- brown paper bags- dryer sheets- there are a dozen or so iron cleaner products in the grocery store (laundry isle)
my iron does NOT have a non-stick coating on it- i've crumpled up aluminum foil and used it on the hot plate to remove fusable- with great success- i'd be afraid of damaging a coating if there was one though.

once you get it clean again- start using a pressing sheet when working with fusables= will really save your iron and other surfaces-
there are plenty of options for pressing sheets- you can purchase one from a quilt/fabric shop (quite pricy)
you can use the release paper from fusable- after the fusable is used- and you peel the paper away- the paper works well to put over your appliques before pressing=
or you can use parchment paper- available in the grocery store- right next to the freezer paper (these two items are main stays in my sewing room- the room would be 'naked' without them :) )
i agree with your m-i-l---crazy
my $10 iron is a wonderful iron that has held up way longer than that stupid iron i paid $149 for- that was leaking-sputtering- horrible in less than 3 months

CAJAMK 07-18-2011 05:36 AM

I have heard running distilled water thru it too

qbquilts 07-18-2011 05:49 AM

Try ironing on wax paper. My mom had me do this when I was doing some fusible applique at her house and accidentally tried ironing with the fusible side face up. Take a large sheet of wax paper and fold in half a few times, so it's either 4 or 8 layers thick, but still bigger than the face of the iron. Briefly iron the wax paper and then wipe iron on a clean towel. Repeat several times to get all the gunk off.

hooked 07-18-2011 06:03 AM

Magic eraser or rubbing alchol is what I use

Farm Quilter 07-18-2011 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
iron a dryer sheet... it really does work.

Just be careful not to have your iron too hot - I just did that and melted the drier sheet on my new big ironing board! :cry:

EDIT: I can report that Magic Eraser works GREAT on a cold iron - quick, easy, no residue - and now my iron is looking new again!! Thanks for that great, inexpensive tip!!!

Jannie 07-18-2011 07:21 AM

I use wax paper like Qbquilts & it works great.