Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Disappointed in Fons and Porter Flat Head Pins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/disappointed-fons-porter-flat-head-pins-t169239.html)

#1piecemaker 11-21-2011 05:23 AM

Take one of them and run it in and out of a piece of fabric a few times and see if it doesn't get easier each time. I have noticed that with my needles I hand quilt with, that if I change needles, the first little bit of use is harder. I don't know if they have a film on them or something but, after it gets off, it is easy to go through the fabric.

juliea9967 11-21-2011 06:57 AM

I bought my F&P flower head pins at my LQS. They were not sharp at all. I took them back to the store and showed them how they worked, and they will no longer be carrying them. They are horrible.

Jingle 11-21-2011 09:06 AM

I bought some too and was very disappointed with them. I only use them in a pinch.

cmw0829 11-21-2011 09:28 AM

Thanks a lot for the replies. I will probably take them back. But I will try the suggestion of running them through fabric a few times and seeing if they improve.

I've heard a lot about things being manufactured to different standard depending on the outlet that will sell them. Never thought it would happen to pins. :)

valleyquiltermo 11-21-2011 10:02 AM

Ditto, I won't buy any more.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4704249)
I do think the yellow head flower pins are sharper but they bend easier.

Judith1005 11-21-2011 10:05 AM

Joanns will take them back. I would not keep defective or dull pins. They will ruin your projects.

greenini 11-21-2011 10:06 AM

You also might try running them into an emery strawberry to see if that helps if you need to use them before you take them back. I've not been really happy at most F & P products, I think that is why a lot of their stock has been in Tues AM ( a remainder store). I have some of the directional pins (head has a U D R or L on an arrow) and I do use those..altho after I bought them at TA, someone suggested writing the initials on a yellow headed pin...duh:rolleyes:

Mickey1 11-21-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by greenini (Post 4706094)
You also might try running them into an emery strawberry to see if that helps if you need to use them before you take them back. I've not been really happy at most F & P products, I think that is why a lot of their stock has been in Tues AM ( a remainder store). I have some of the directional pins (head has a U D R or L on an arrow) and I do use those..altho after I bought them at TA, someone suggested writing the initials on a yellow headed pin...duh:rolleyes:

. Good to know!

Holice 11-21-2011 06:06 PM

send complaint to the manufacturer Prym Dritz in Spartansburg SC.
F&P just lend their name to the product.

bearisgray 11-21-2011 06:08 PM

Wouldn't a "brand" want to have consistent quality - no matter where it was being sold?

If I was disappointed with a Brand A item at WalMart (for example), there is no way I would buy that Brand A item elsewhere. Why would I expect product number 123 at a specialty shop to be any better than product number 123 at a big box store?