Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Disappointed, please help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/disappointed-please-help-t59850.html)

clem55 08-17-2010 05:53 PM

And this is why I worry about hiring my workout. I know nothing about LA quilting, I would have no idea what to ask for, and like you, I would trust their judgement. Therefore, I have two tops just sitting in the closet, have been for many years. I can"t work with the larger quilts anymore, and I am hoping I can do the baby quilts myself if I take enough time. At least there aren'T any babies in the near future! LOL

tooMuchFabric 08-17-2010 08:50 PM

Any longarmer of good reputation is going to be happy indeed to show you samples of their work, maybe a portfolio of pictures taken of work they did.
Or samples presently working on.
Do not be shy to ask: You will be paying out good money for the work, and also their reputation is worth everything to the quilter.
Everyone knows how much labor and heart is put into our projects.

Originally Posted by clem55
And this is why I worry about hiring my workout. I know nothing about LA quilting, I would have no idea what to ask for, and like you, I would trust their judgement. Therefore, I have two tops just sitting in the closet, have been for many years. I can"t work with the larger quilts anymore, and I am hoping I can do the baby quilts myself if I take enough time. At least there aren'T any babies in the near future! LOL

hcarpanini 08-18-2010 04:23 AM

As a long armer, I would want to make sure the customer was completely satisfied. I have before delivered quilts and found that I missed a spot or I needed to go back and add a bit more. When a customer says "do whatever", my whatever may be totally different from hers. But, my reputation is at stake for future customers, so I want to be sure everyone is happy.
You may want to go back and contact your quilter, if she was to find out in a round about way that this thread(discussion) was going on, feelings may be hurt. I think she needs to make good. I know I would want to.

kathy 08-18-2010 06:33 AM

you said you hate confrontation, don't look at it as a confrontation (and hopefully it won't be) give her the benefit of doubt, maybe she's new to quilting or maybe she thought you wanted to keep it simple, just tell her it doesn't seem like it has enough quilting and can she possibly add some to it. If she refuses or has an attitude then you know she's not a "real" quilter. :?

Annaquilts 08-18-2010 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by crkathleen
Maybe she could do the squiggly lines in the opposite direction. Kinda like tic-tac-toe.
By the way: Beautiful quilt

That sound slike a good idea. I would also not use this person again. The quilt and the work you did is gorgeous.

Annaquilts 08-18-2010 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by hcarpanini
Another thought, I can see those lines as half a heart, maybe she could complete the other half.

The vine and heart ideas are great. Hopefully some one can give you an idea to help solve it.

squeakie 08-19-2010 03:24 AM

if you'd like i can give you the name of a long arm person i use,she is fantastic and a pretty fast turn around, pm me if you'd like, she's in indiana

gcathie 08-19-2010 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by hcarpanini
As a long armer, I would want to make sure the customer was completely satisfied. I have before delivered quilts and found that I missed a spot or I needed to go back and add a bit more. When a customer says "do whatever", my whatever may be totally different from hers. But, my reputation is at stake for future customers, so I want to be sure everyone is happy.
You may want to go back and contact your quilter, if she was to find out in a round about way that this thread(discussion) was going on, feelings may be hurt. I think she needs to make good. I know I would want to.

I believe this is a great soulution....your quilter can do more but only if she knows about it...give whomever that chance...

lillybeck 08-19-2010 05:35 AM

The quilt is gorgeous and I see why you would be disappointed but, I have done many quilts for little ones with just stitching in the ditch and they hold up fine. As long as your batting is good the fabric will hold it all together. I would not use this person again.

laureneberhard 08-19-2010 05:41 AM

As a longarmer I would want to know if a customer was not happy. It only makes me better.
I love the heart idea. Give her the chance to make it right - or at least the way you'd like it to look. But remember, you didn't give her any guidance, so she did what she thought was appropriate.
I love your choice of fabrics for this quilt.