Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Disappointed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/disappointed-t65164.html)

PKITTY1 09-16-2010 09:42 PM

:thumbdown: I've been disppointed by the contents of the quilting magazines and books for about a year. I have alot of patterns but I love new stuff that is different. I'm not seeing anything that I can say is new: patterns or techniques. The trends I'm seeing are these: smaller projects, easier patterns, and emphasis on specific looks with specific fabric lines. The majority of the magazine patterns are by new fabric designers with very busy fabrics. These fabrics are difficult to use for more intricate patterns such as applique, etc... What concerns me is that quilts are becoming packaged and creatively stifled. Get this fabric, get this look and don't think outside my specific design instructions. I miss having a pattern that I could chose my own fabrics and get a similar if not exact look without having to buy a specific fabric line. What do you think? Thanks for letting me vent.

SharonC 09-16-2010 09:45 PM

I certainly agree. I've been disappointed with magazines and even the TV shows for a while now. I can tell you, to be creative and do your own thing--use some graph paper or use an EQ program. Sometimes just designing quilts I'm making for the grandchildren is as much fun as actually quilting them :).

raptureready 09-17-2010 02:14 AM

I think that you reach a point when you've outgrown the magazines. There are very few good ideas in them, imho. They seem to be reaching for the "far out" or going WAY too simplistic for the advancing quilter. If I find a magazine with two things in it that I'd actually consider making I think I've really got something. And I don't like the clothing catalog stuck in the middle. ARE YOU LISTENING F&P???

Lacelady 09-17-2010 02:45 AM

I generally buy 2 from the UK, and 2 from the US. I am really fed up with seeing bags in those from the UK. EVERY month there is a bag of some sort. How many variations on a Tote do we need? In fairness, there are a few other shapes occasionally, but to me, they are a waste of time and space in the mag. I would be highly unlikely to want to make one.

janRN 09-17-2010 02:52 AM

I'm tired of the emphasis being "quick" and "easy". Where's the challenge in that? I know today's world is fast-paced but quilting is supposed to be relaxing and each quilt I do I expect it to be more challenging than the last one. Sure sometimes you need a quick project- a last minute baby gift or something like that but not everything has to be done in a week-end.
As for bags and purses, I've made them and seen some lovely ones, but I'd rather they were in their own magazine.
I haven't bought a new mag in a year (I previously posted about them being in plastic grrr) and prob won't buy any in the near future.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-17-2010 03:46 AM

Jan, your comment is spot on! Quilting by its very nature isn't "quick and easy" lol
Of course we all go for that once in awhile but that isn't the essence of quiltmaking!!
That's why I love the board so much. I don't need any more books or mags- just all of you!!! :D

debbieumphress 09-17-2010 03:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I subscribe to 5-6 of the mags and am not renweing my subscriptions for this reason. I love to read them but they are getting way out there or too easy. SO sad too as I love my quilting mags. I havem y older ones to read when I feel the need. LOL. And I don't like clothes ads in mine either.

SO bored with the new Quilt mags. Yawnnnnnnnn
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93261[/ATTACH]

sueisallaboutquilts 09-17-2010 04:04 AM

Debbie, that's another reason I love this board !! hahahahah
That kitty is so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

deema 09-17-2010 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by SharonC
I certainly agree. I've been disappointed with magazines and even the TV shows for a while now. I can tell you, to be creative and do your own thing--use some graph paper or use an EQ program. Sometimes just designing quilts I'm making for the grandchildren is as much fun as actually quilting them :).

Graph paper is exactly what I do...complete with my daughter's pilfered crayons lol. I'd like to check out an EQ program though. They look like fun. :)

QuiltswithConvicts 09-17-2010 04:16 AM

I'm with you all - let my subscriptions expire, then get an offer for a package of Quilter's Newsletter and McCalls - both for a year each at $24.00 total. How could I refuse.

I find, though, that I am "reading" magazines more than using patterns, so - Quilter's Home is an absolute hoot - it's a magazine for quilters, not a pattern magazine. Tons of info crammed between the covers.

Stopped watching the PBS offerings because they are old!