Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Disappointment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/disappointment-t234022.html)

Quiltngolfer 11-05-2013 06:03 AM

Lay it out in your house where people will see it. I can guarantee you someone will come in and claim it. That's what happens to every quilt I make. My kids love them all. The quilt is really a pretty quilt. It just looks bad to you because you had so much trouble with it. Someone else will love it. I have some that have given me a lot of trouble, and it is hard to love them. I'm proud of you for finishing it.

maminstl 11-05-2013 06:28 AM

Try not to be self-defeating. You learn something new with each project, so take the lesson learned and move on to the next thing. It happens to all of us.

Dina 11-05-2013 06:40 AM

You are really being too hard on yourself. Your quilt top is beautiful, and the only reason you don't like your quilting is that it didn't turn out the way you thought it would. It still looks good. I know you have to finish it, I hear that in your voice. :) So finish it, then you can decide what to do with it. You could sit it on a top closet shelf, donate it, or give it that cutie daughter of yours. If she is already loving it....well, that might be the way to go.

I can identify with all of your struggles in this quilt. I just had the same experience with the quilt I just finished. It seemed like everything that could go wrong did. I did learn a lot though. I am leaning towards the idea that so many things went wrong in this quilt that the next four should be "mishapfree" (is that a word? My spellcheck doesn't think so. Oh well)!!

Dina

lfstamper 11-05-2013 06:40 AM

Embrace the lessons learned and move on.

omacookie 11-05-2013 06:44 AM

I love it ! Finish it and donate it. It will give you a feeling of accomplishment. Hugs

Jim 11-05-2013 07:02 AM

You are your own worst quilt police. From the pictures it looks great. :-)

ManiacQuilter2 11-05-2013 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 6387674)
I would put it aside and work on something else. Then go back and finish it and donate it to a homeless shelter or women's shelter. Some times it just takes a break from something that your not satisfied with to develope fresh eyes and the energy to finish.

I agree, put it aside and work on something else. We have ALL had this problem at one time or another. Right now I am VERY disappointed that I stitched in every row in my Twist & Turn Bargello. It is so over quilted that it will never lay flat. So I am working on another project and hopefully I can once again get back to my unfinished bargello! I will probably become very friendly with my seam ripper. UGH!

Just saw your picture. I would have stitched it diagonally in the ditch and let the print be the focus. I don't know what it is specifically you don't like. I STILL color my mistakes with Micron Pens (used when writing permanently on fabric). I would just very carefully touch the black or navy color to the white thread ONLY on the dark triangles which will make the thread virtually disappear. Finish up the border and the binding. If you still are unhappy, then donate it to an organization (especially one that donates quilts to disaster hit areas)that will make sure it has a happy home. We ARE our worse critic !!!

pokeygirl 11-05-2013 07:04 AM

It looks fine to me, but I understand your feelings. I have one that I put in a plastic container and won't look at it. I paid good money for the fabric so I won't throw it out. I just hope I can salvage it one of these days.:D

mighty 11-05-2013 07:35 AM

I really think it looks great!!!!

klaws 11-05-2013 07:51 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it. I like it!