Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Discouraged Long Arm Newbie... It's Harder Than I Thought! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/discouraged-long-arm-newbie-its-harder-than-i-thought-t196299.html)

valleyquiltermo 07-31-2012 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Joset (Post 5407570)
Keep on practicing when i first started using mine. i put together some old sheets
with batting and i practice every day for a while. it took me two times before i felt
i could do a quilt. i made a quilt out of them and binded them and they are nice
and warm my husband likes them in the winter. dont give up.

DITTO, this is same as I done and they make great throw around kids quilts.
Sew just keep up the pratice.

nygal 07-31-2012 05:07 AM

I'm doing the same thing with the set up I recently bought. I did a panel practice quilt and now I am using a solid blue with white thread so I can see the stitches. I have been quilting my real name which is full of curves and they ae looking good!

QuiltNama 07-31-2012 05:41 AM

It takes practice and more practice. I did lots of loops and swirls til it felt a little more comfortable. Took pieces of small print fabrics and put borders on them, loaded them on my machine (HQ) with back and batting and wrote nursery rhymes. The small print hid the mistakes but really helped build my confidence, then started with other little things like stars, hearts, etc. After they were quilted, I bound them and used them for donations. Everyone is being used and loved. Now I do everthing from small to very large quilts and don't do a lot of fancy stuff, just fun stuff and love being able to finish my quilts. It will take a little bit of time to learn but after a bit, you will be so glad you stuck with it.

ragquilter 07-31-2012 05:46 AM

Don't give up, you'll get the hang of it. Is there a LQS that you can rent time on a long arm? Try you tube, I'm sure there are videos on there, everything else is. Just don't give up.

kristakz 07-31-2012 05:58 AM

Keep practising. As others have said, put on a throw-away sandwich, and practice on that. I have only had my machine for a week and a half, so I'm definitely still a newbie. I did a practice sandwich (1 yard of fabric, full width) each of the first 2 days, and I made some comparison points. For example, I wrote my name at the start of day 1 (and it's not a nice smooth curvy name) and then again at the end of day 2. I still don't think it is great - but I can look at the 2 attempts and see worlds of improvement from the first to the second. That gives me confidence to keep going.

Another comparison point - I took one of my practice sets and divided it into squares with a marker. Then I quilted a different sampler pattern in each square (try 365 days of free motion quilting http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...ilt-along.html, if you are looking for inspriation). I plan to repeat the exact same sampler in a few weeks, so that I can see my progress. I find that if you look at each day in isolation, they are never perfect. But if you can see your improvement day to day, week to week, that provides confidence and the incentive to keep going.

Gramie bj 07-31-2012 06:10 AM

I agree with all the above. Practice!! It is the bust way to learn! I also use a dry erace board for practice. I have a small lap size for just doodling a design but have a large one I set flat on my dinning room table. I stand as if I were at my Lizzie and draw using full arm motion. it really helps me set up a pattern to be used later. once your muscles learn the movement and pattern it is so much easyer. Don't give up! The time will come when it clicks and your brain and muscles start working together! Thats when the fun really begins!

jlm5419 07-31-2012 06:27 AM

It gets easier. Just give yourself time for plenty of practice. I recommend using garage sale sheets sandwiched with inexpensive batting for practice. You could try drawing designs onto the sheets to stitch over. I'm a relative newbie myself when it comes to longarm skills, but I do find it gets easier with each quilt.

alleyoop1 07-31-2012 09:24 AM

Practice makes perfect! Try drawing a design on your fabric and then go over it and over it without thread. Then thread your machine and try it with thread - in a contrasting color so you can really see the stitches. I like to practice "drawing" things like stars, hearts, waves, flowers, etc. On my first quilt on my frame I drew all sorts of things in the quilting and even wrote my son's name. Maybe one day he'll actually find his name in it!

The last quilt I did - a baby quilt last month - I printed out a design and laid it in front of my needle and using my arms to guide the machine, I kept my eyes on the pattern so I could try to follow it. It came out pretty good.

Good luck and just don't give up!

Jackie Spencer 07-31-2012 11:54 AM

Don't give up. When my neice bought her LA she said the same thing. She felt so guilty spending the money. she was ready to send it back. everyone incouraged her, and she hung in there, 2 years later she is quilting for ladies all over the U.S. and has even quilted for Meg Hawkey, the designer of Crabapple Hill Designs. I just entered a quilt she quilted for me in a Quilt show and won Best in Catagory, I got 100 points out of a possible 100. Most of what she does is free hand. Keep practising and don't be so hard on yourself. Some of us ladies on here will be sending you our quilts before you know it!!

moonwork42029 07-31-2012 11:59 AM

In the same boat as you are...I haven't had mine long and no time to "play". Gosh do I think it looks awful!

Someday soon though, I will do a charity one :)

Let's hang in there and show it we ain't scared.