Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Discouraged (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/discouraged-t104344.html)

Vat 03-03-2011 02:12 PM

You might try the 4 patch or a 9 patch with lots of success. Really simple with the right directions. Just don't give up, it's too much fun.

wynona 03-03-2011 03:02 PM

I am a brand new quilter (working on my first quilt as we speak). I signed up at a local quilt shop for a beginning class using the 9 patch pattern. I was the only one signed up, so they didn't hold the class. Since I had purchased everything for the quilt, I jumped into it and am having a blast, amazed at how easy it is. I picked out 6 fabrics, cut them into strips 4 1/2 inches wide, sewed three long strips together and then the other three long strips together, cut them across at 4 1/2 inches and made two sets of blocks. It sounds a bit confusing, but it was VERY easy. Try to find a 9 patch pattern and just jump in. You will be having a blast before you know it!! Good luck

Taughtby Grandma 03-03-2011 03:10 PM

I bought the book "Quilt with Confidence" by Nancy Zeiman at JoAnns. She starts you out with a simple 4 patch and goes on with easy directions and diagrams to 9 patch and some other patterns. I've been quilting for a long time and some of her tips made things easier for me. Please go look at this book and see if you like it before you give up. I'd hate for you to miss out on the fun.

suern3 03-03-2011 03:11 PM

Is there any way you can take a beginners quilting class? I started with one at a quilt shop and found it so helpful. I know I am a hands-on learner who needs someone to actually show me what to do. From there as was able to take off on my own, although, I am one who needs a pattern. Hang in there and try to find what works for you. It is worth it!

sewbeit 03-03-2011 03:42 PM

hang in there girl..if blocks are your thing..so be it..eventually you;ll come around and try something else...

katiebear1 03-03-2011 04:02 PM

You can,t get much easier than a four or nine patch. And they are really fun if they are scrappy.

suern3 03-03-2011 04:21 PM

Do you have a rotary cutter and ruler? Has anyone shown you how to use them? You need to start with the basics.

laalaaquilter 03-03-2011 04:22 PM

:wink: Hang in there! Start with inexpensive fabric and just cut and stitch and learn by doing! If it turns out 'wrong' who is to know?!

Nettie Phillips 03-03-2011 04:24 PM

Don't be discouraged. Go to quilterscache.com. There are
several patterns with just squares. I love this site with so many
patterns. You can choose your own difficulty or simple pattern.

BeverlyJo 03-03-2011 04:45 PM

Don't be discouraged. The pattern Yellow Brick Road is an easy, but looks complicated, pattern. Also Rail Fence is a good pattern for new quilters. Just don't give up. Quilting is so much fun and so enjoyable.