Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Discouraged (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/discouraged-t104344.html)

RhondaKay 03-03-2011 04:56 AM

Oh and too ... just to let you know, I have not tried the simple pattern I sent to you because after I started making the star patterns with the short cuts I found to make them, then it was so simple for me, and, so I have just stuck with that so far. It makes so many different looks to a quilt.

I can share all the short cuts I have found if you want. Like sewing long strips together and then cutting them to get a half triangle square. Or, the one where you sew three pieces of fabric together and then use a square ruler to lay on it and cut out a great block piece... I am still getting use to terms too so please forgive me all you professional quilters :-)...

I would adopt you if I were a quilter with years of experience... I know how you feel but don't give up after you make a few little blocks you will feel comfrotable enough to make a whole quilt. And, I found that I got discouraged along the way because it just wasn't looking right but after I layed it out all the with the blocks together Wow it looked good....

JoantheQuilter 03-03-2011 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dmacc502
For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.

Please don't be discouraged. First, I would recommend taking a quilting class from your LQS. If there are no quilt shops in your area, try this site: www.quilting.about.com That site has so many very simple patterns and how to construct them...from start to finish. Good luck!

supergma 03-03-2011 05:00 AM

For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.

Try a simple nine-patch. all squares.

RhondaKay 03-03-2011 05:02 AM

...try this one link "allpeoplequilt" lots of free patterns and ideas on that website, and, try doing a search online at "you tube" with typing in just the terms... like "half quarter square quilt" don't forget each time you do a seach you have to include the word "quilt" or "quilting" or else you will all sorts of silly stuff.
www.allpeoplequilt.com

Connie in CO 03-03-2011 05:03 AM

All of us has started at the beginning and advanced onward.There are simple patterns out there.Tell your self this isn't going to beat me.You should see me on this computer i want to download embroidery patterns on to memory cards,i can't do it yet but I'm going to do it. Connie in CO

dolores 03-03-2011 05:13 AM

why not make a nine patch and snowball quilt. they are easy to make and make a very pretty quilt.

clorice 03-03-2011 05:13 AM

Have you tried the magzine "Quiltmaker". I made a couple from it first and they were so cute, and I learned a lot. Hope this helps.

Debka 03-03-2011 05:13 AM

Don't give up! My first blocks were rail fence - look it up. Also, like others have suggested, try an easy 4 patch. Use some great color combos and you'll be off and sewing.

scaroca 03-03-2011 05:20 AM

my first quilt was a rail fence. that is a very easy pattern give that a try

mhansen6 03-03-2011 05:24 AM

Try this: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44258-1.htm

It is the tube quilt method. It is fast, easy and goes together very easily. It is great for a beginner because your points go together so perfectly and all it all squares.