Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Disney embrodery machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/disney-embrodery-machine-t6369.html)

ButtercreamCakeArtist 04-22-2008 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I thought just that machine company had purchased the rights to sell Disney. Disney designs aren't on the Embroidery Library site and I don't think I have seen them on other embroidery sites either. Maybe I can buy a Disney memory card somewhere?

There are Disney cards. I think I saw some on eBay a long time ago. Most of the designs I've seen online to purchase aren't name-brand ones. Have you seen copyrighted designs (like Nemo, Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, Dodge) on the sites that you can purchase/download from??

tlrnhi 04-22-2008 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
I hope some of those links help. I didn't realize just how much I've learned until I scanned through some of those old posts. I didn't even know how to spell stabilizer! LOL!
I had only used a basic machine, so the SE-270D took some getting used to! I remember trying to read the instructions, and it felt so overwhelming!! It didn't take too long to really figure out. Not like I thought it might! It was easier when I put down the book and just jumped in.

ccbear66: If you go to WM and buy this machine, don't come home without stabilizer. I've learned that I like the tear-away. THe machine doesn't come with any, and you have to have it to embroider. Mine came with one spool of white embroidery thread, so you will need some colorful machine embroidery thread, although the white on dark color fabric would be good to practice with.

Just a little side note on stabilizer. If you run out and need some in a pinch, you can use coffee filters. I have used them and they work GREAT!!

kathy 04-22-2008 05:08 AM

Now Terri, that's a worthwhile hint! lots cheaper than stabilizer, I'm going to try that, thanks.

tlrnhi 04-22-2008 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
Now Terri, that's a worthwhile hint! lots cheaper than stabilizer, I'm going to try that, thanks.

Another thing I do is...If I am using the IRON ON stabilizer, I DO NOT iron it down until I am happy with the finished product. I have become a pro at ripping out embroidery designs. I am just a perfectionist when it comes to it, so if I have a design that is crooked, even the slightest and I notice it, I'll rip the entire design out. YES, it can take hours and hours, but I do it.
Then, once I am happy with the design, I'll iron it. I try NOT to use the iron on stuff, but sometimes that's all I have.
Also, if you DO use the iron on, make sure it's SHINEY side down. Can you tell I've made that mistake before? Ya live and learn and pass on your learnings.

tlrnhi 04-22-2008 05:26 AM

You might try loosening your stitches a little. OR you have your fabric either too tight or not tight enough on the hoop. Just takes practice to get it just right.
I used to have the same problem...hence being a pro ripping out the designs.

redrummy 04-22-2008 05:47 AM

My sister in law has it and loves it. She sews regular, embroidery, and has a blast. :P :P :P

Roben 04-22-2008 06:37 AM

I think Loretta is remembering correctly - if I also remember correctly, Brother has an exclusive contract with Disney. For example, I have a Brother PE-700; it takes Brother cards, but it will not take any Disney cards. To embroider Disney designs, the Brother machine has to have the D in the model (so the PE-750D will take the Disney cards.)

If a website (including E-Bay) has Disney designs and they are not on a Brother card, I personally wouldn't touch them - IMHO, they are probably copyright infringing and I certainly don't want to go there. (The same is true for any designs of known cartoon characters like Dora or Nickelodeon - the digitizing companies have to pay for the rights to digitize those designs, and I can't imagine the rights are inexpensive.) Dakota Collectibles does some licensed designs, but be sure to read the rules; some cannot be put on items to be sold.

I know stabilizers can get expensive (and I like to save my $$ for the specialty stuff that I occasionally need) but I don't use things like coffee filters because of the chance that the fibers from the paper will get down into my machines. No matter how much we pay for our machines, it's a lot of money to us! For tearaway, I bought a 50 yard roll of lightweight tearaway from Ziegler's Embroidery Supply on E-Bay (user id: lzig) for $21.98 with shipping over a year ago and I still have some left. It's 11" wide, which works with even my Mega Hoop and has worked wonderfully for me. (No affiliation, just like the stuff and the service :-) )

Patty44 04-22-2008 06:39 AM

Can you get it at wal mart?

Patty44 04-22-2008 06:41 AM

I read some where that you could use the downy fabric sheets after they go through the dryer too.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 04-22-2008 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
No I haven't seen them cause I think they are all sold to special places- people who bought the franchizes. Tear away is good, but remember to use cut away if you are embroiderying on knits like t shirts or sweat shirts.

and on shirts, you'll need the water soluable on top. Right? I tried a shirt once and ended up ruining it.
On towels, I added some tulle on top so the threads wouldn't sink into the towel.