Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   DIY quilt frame for my sewing machine, any suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/diy-quilt-frame-my-sewing-machine-any-suggestions-t20225.html)

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 05-17-2009 12:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, so I saw an ad for the Flynn quilt frame, but I don't have 130 bucks plus shipping to buy it. I figured I could build myself a frame in a similar style as that one, and I'm hitting a little bump in the road.
I got everything set up, and it works alright, but my fabric doesn't slide up and down on the pvc pipes very well. It rolls back and forth very smoothly, but up and down, well, not so much. I was thinking of getting some castors and putting them on my wooden end pieces, but I was hoping someone else had a better idea for me.

Here's what I'm talking about.

Izy 05-17-2009 01:02 PM

Melanie, just last night, I showed DH the Flynn frame and said you could make me that!! Have you watched the video thats about 30 mins long? He goes into quite alot of detail, and mentions about balancing a bag of peas on one end to counterbalance the weight or something, thank you so much for putting this up, I will now go back to DH and show him your handiwork!!

Let me know how you get on!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 05-17-2009 06:23 PM

ya, I watched the video, and thought the same thing as your husband, I can totally make that! I bought some 2" x 6' wooden poles to use as rollers. I drilled 1/4" holes in the ends, and glued some 1/4" dowels cut at 4" long, and drilled 1/4" holes in some 2x4 boards cut at 16". I also bought some 3" PVC pipes, 2' long, as support. Assemble as directed in the video, and voilą!

Izy 05-17-2009 06:31 PM

Melanie, you have got my brain over active!! Its 4.30am here lol!!

How do you get the tension on the rods, he uses some sort of bolt which he tightens??

kluedesigns 05-17-2009 06:31 PM

i have the flynn i got it for like $70 including shipping from all brands.

i'm able to move my frame with a twin size quilt on it with just my index fingers.

i think the problem you're experiencing is because you have your piece built mainly out of wood which is very heavy.

i'd opt for putting wheels on the bottom.

genghis khan 05-17-2009 08:51 PM

Hmmmm.........very interesting

nik 05-18-2009 04:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi - My partner made me a quilt frame a fornight ago, I was going to start a thread on it but ill health has put a stop to that. Anyway it works fantastic that I could tell with craig having a go with it.
The 2 part carriage rolls well, fabric stays tight on the poles. I'm going to make cloth leaders for it in a couple of weeks & screw them on to the poles for easy installation & removal of quilt.
The carriage wheels are just sliding screen door wheels.
I hope the pics might give you some ideas - :D

Izy 05-18-2009 04:54 AM

Oh NIk, that looks very interesting, can you show us something you have quilted on your homemade frame, I live in Spain and there is NO CHANCE of me ever being able to afford to have a frame shipped to here, never mind afford the initial cost, so any help would be really appreciated :wink: :D

sandpat 05-18-2009 05:02 AM

Hmmmm....hadn't thought in this direction. First, I need to solve the problem of having room for a frame, either a DIY or "store bought". Then...these look great..lots cheaper...and can say you did it yourself!

nik 05-18-2009 05:16 AM

Hi Izy - I have only had a chance to have a 2 minute go on the frame so far (had a ms relaspse the day before it was done - BUGGER!!)
I wan't to try & put a proper quilt sandwich together at the end of the week & give it a go.
There's still a couple things for us to work out with it but we are more than happy to help with any needed plans.
The 2 minutes on it that I had seemed to work really well just had tension issue with cotton underneath of fabric that turned into birds nest - which I have to work out with the machine.