Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   DIY templates (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/diy-templates-t296849.html)

tranum 05-11-2018 10:22 AM

DIY templates

If you’ve made your own templates, what did you use to do that ? Did it work ok ?

Tartan 05-11-2018 10:40 AM

​What kind of templates? Ones for tracing out quilt block pieces ( I save the clear plastic packaging for store bought things) ones for cutting shapes with your rotary cutter (some QB members get them cut out of thicker plastic at the hardware store) or ones for using with your ruler foot on your machine for quilting ( I got a nice straight edge of thick plastic from a window supply place)

Mousie 05-11-2018 10:45 AM

lot's of stuff: packaging plastics, milk jugs, cardboard which I trace. When i want super
accuracy and more durability I buy the printed stuff from Joann's that is heat resistant and
i double the layer after cutting it. I glue them together.

Kitsie 05-11-2018 10:53 AM

Heat resistant template plastic for templates that I use over and over. Less than $3 for 12" x 18" at a store near me.
Also some mailed advertising cards are "plastic dipped"!

Boston1954 05-11-2018 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When Jim worked at the hospital, he brought home some 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of plastic that I use. They are sturdy, but I am still able to cut them with ordinary scissors. I love them, and wish I had more. He also saves the tops from the coffee cans for smaller items.

SusieQOH 05-11-2018 11:25 AM

I use those plastic sheets. I think they are like 8 x 11- like copier paper size. I like see through rather than using cardboard.
I don't use templates very often anymore though. I used to use them a lot.

tranum 05-11-2018 11:50 AM

Sorry my question was so broad. I was looking for a product with some thickness similar to my quilting rulers. I like the creative Grids patchwork templates for crazy quilts but I want to make scrappy 10” or 12” blocks and they don’t make templates that large. I heard about using linoleum but the top would be too slick and the bottom would have the black goop on it. I want to use my rotary cutter so I’ll look at the hardware or fabric store. Thanks.

Gay 05-11-2018 05:44 PM

Some use acrylic from the hardware stores, and I think they will cut it to your sizes too.

JustAbitCrazy 05-11-2018 05:47 PM

I have glued together a stack of dimes for circles. You could do the same with other coins for larger circles. Remember, if you have a quarter inch foot on your machine, the circle comes out with a diameter that is a half inch larger than your stack of coins.

Barb in Louisiana 05-11-2018 05:53 PM

If all your lines on your crazy quilt are straight, then why not use regular paper? You would draw the pattern out the first time as to where you wanted your seams. Office supply houses have the bigger pieces of paper. Then cut apart your original pattern, add 1/4 inch all the way around each piece and copy them. Number your pieces or you will be one confused person. Then just layer your fabrics and cut each piece. After doing some Judy Niemeyer patterns, I can cut 12 layers of fabric with the largest rotary cutter. It is a workout!