Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do any of today's machine makers offer something similar to the featherweight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-any-todays-machine-makers-offer-something-similar-featherweight-t115229.html)

betsey 04-12-2011 03:25 AM

Several years ago I bought a Featherweight for classes, mini-groups and retreats. I am totally thrilled with that machine. I would suggest you buy a featherweight. You won't be disappointed/

jitkaau 04-12-2011 04:15 AM

The cheap Brother and Elna machines are lightweight enough for that sort of work.

GGinMcKinney 04-12-2011 05:00 AM

Miss Gigglewings, does the Hancocks machine wind a bobbin correctly? I have that machine and must wind my bobbins on other machine. Other than that this is a great 1/4" stitch and light.

Blackberry 04-12-2011 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
My husband travels quite a bit for work and the kids and I often go with him. We spend a lot of time in the mornings in the hotel while he works and I've often wished I could continue working on my projects while away from the house. I currently have a Bernina 820 and portable is just not a word used to describe that machine! I'm just wanting to do some piecing while away, not any quilting. I know the featherweights are excellent for being toted around but I was wondering if there were currently any models on the market that were also great for on the go work.

I've looked at the new Bernina 3 series but their still a little bigger than I want to tote around, and their price is more than I'd like to spend for an occasional travel machine. All I plan on doing is a basic 1/4" piecing stitch so the more basic the machine, the better.

Anyone have recommendations or advice?

I just purchased a Janome Mini from a lady on Craig's List for $35. It does straight stitch and zigzag and it only weights about 5-7#. I have even sewed on it and I like it for just simple sewing. It is the cutest darn thing.

CarrieAnne 04-12-2011 05:05 AM

The tiny ones at Walmart are cute, amd I think they are only 79.99?!

mar32428 04-12-2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Hi Rachel! :lol: I thought the Bernina 200 series were the lightweight machines? I have a Janome Jem Platinum that's 12 lbs and perfect for traveling with. They're very easy to use, very affordable and sounds just like what you're looking for. Good luck! :thumbup:

I've had a Jem for two years and swear by it. No, not at it.

dixiechunk 04-12-2011 05:10 AM

The old Kenmore 1030's and 1040's are a nice portable machine and they even have a couple of decorative stitches.
They can still be found fairly cheap on e-bay. Occasionally somebody wants an arm and leg for one but not usually.

fivepaws 04-12-2011 05:14 AM

A couple of years ago I bought a Brothers for $90 at Target. Very portable, cheap plastic but it sews lots of design stitches and is great. I also have my Mom's featherweight and my Viking Designer II. That way, I can embroider and stitch at the same time. Works great for me.

karenpatrick 04-12-2011 05:15 AM

I don't mean to be snide or anything but isn't a 1/4" a 1/4" no matter which machine you sew on? Isn't it up to the sewer to make sure she has a 1/4" seam allowance?

karenpatrick 04-12-2011 05:21 AM

I have a cheap Brother that I bought at Walmart for about $100 that can't weigh more than 10 pounds and sews like a dream. I also have a Brother embroidery machine that sews as well. It's the one that only has a 4" embroidery area, but it can't weight more than 10 pounds either but cost considerably more than the first Brother. I use the $100 Brother for all my straight stitching. I use the emb. Brother for embroidery and I use a $500 White for my fmq. It has a large throat. So... you don't need a $10,000 machine to make quilts.