Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do any of you ever make one like "they used to do it"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-any-you-ever-make-one-like-they-used-do-t193111.html)

luvstoquilt 06-30-2012 03:34 AM

I do sometimes..it is relaxing.

nycquilter 06-30-2012 03:41 AM

If G-d wanted me to sew by hand, the machine would never have been invented! that said, I love hand applique though always finish the quilt (including piecing the blocks) by machine. Unless it is a particularly special quilt, I now do the bindings by machine, too.

piepatch 06-30-2012 04:05 AM

Years ago, I hand pieced a quilt with 1600 squares. They were 2" squares, and of course were cut with scissors. An elderly friend encouraged me to do it, and I actually enjoyed every minute of it. I have not done that much hand piecing since, but I have good memories of that project.

Jackie Spencer 06-30-2012 04:44 AM

I just finished piecing a quilt called Eldon, by Laundry Basket Quilts. The log cabin blocks I did by machine (41/2) and the stripes for the diamonds, I sewed on the machine. I cut all the pieces using a rotary cutter. The rest of the quilt I sewed by hand. Its 86 by 86. The pattern included 2 templates, which I used. I love doing hand work. Every once in awhile I like to do a pattern that is a challenge, and I usually do them by hand. I have been quilting since 1974, just started machine piecing in 2004, when I realized I was'nt going to get to make all the quilts I wanted to if I did'nt.

joyce j 06-30-2012 05:26 AM

Until last year I did all my quilts by hand. Did not own a sewing machine. Some times I want to do them by hand,but as you all say , my hands wont take it any more. joyce j

lenette 06-30-2012 05:43 AM

I can no longer use a rotary cutter, so I planned to cut my last quilt out the old fashion way. Boy, did I get confused! I got really mixed up trying to figure the pieces out separately. I got it done, and now when I think about it, I don't know why it was so confusing. I'm sure if I got the directions out again and read them, I would get just as confused again.

Peckish 06-30-2012 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland (Post 5326263)
I don't do it "just because," and I don't believe hand piecing and hand quilting is intrinsically better than machine work. I do hand work because I enjoy it, and because I don't screw up as much when I go by hand.

I much admire the work that some of the machine quilters do...and I'm grateful for them, because they've helped quilt making boom as a hobby.

Janet

What Janet said. Also - I guess I don't understand the need to feel "in touch" with the quilters of yesteryear. I quilt because I'm obsessed. LOL!

SunlitenSmiles 07-01-2012 03:06 AM

just for fun I almost always have some hand piecing project going.....some block I just had to try, often making a doll quilt from it.....years ago , before the rotary cutter, I used template (cardboard from cereal box) and sissors (wiss), loved quilting then and love it now with all the fun things....these new little red clips are awsome! My DD and I love our Singer 301(mine is two tone,hers is mocha) and my Bernina 1630 and her Singer treadle, it is great fun to use all the machines on a single project ! In quilting they all play together !!!!

KathyKat 07-01-2012 03:35 AM

I'm hand piecing a GFG and when it's finished, probably 5 yrs from now, I'll send it to some gals in Iowa that do beautiful hand quilting. I like some hand sewing because it's relaxing. However the rest of my quilts are machine pieced and machine quilted by me.

Latrinka 07-01-2012 03:54 AM

The only hand stitching I do is cross-stitching, and make yo-yo's. I am thinking about starting a GFG because I like to have handwork going too, but I do most of my quilting with my sewing machine. I did start out though with a template, and cut pieces by hand, only because I didn't know then about the rotary cutter!