Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I Leave It As Is or Do More? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-leave-do-more-t216710.html)

EllieGirl 03-18-2013 10:51 AM

Do I Leave It As Is or Do More?

2 Attachment(s)
I am making a wall hanging out of this panel. So far I have quilted SID around the frames. I had wanted to do some FMQ inside each frame with monofilament thread. However my machine must not like it. The thread kept breaking, the bobbin was making grinding noises, and I broke three needles. So do I just add the binding or is there something else I could do?

alisonquilts 03-18-2013 11:10 AM

I guess it mostly depends on what distance your batting will let you get away with. I think I would quilt the outline of one or two motifs in each frame (FMQ with top thread matching whatever color the motif is), just to emphasize the image and stabilize the frame.

Love the panel!

*goes off looking for a corkscrew*

Alison

Prism99 03-18-2013 11:10 AM

What batting did you use and how large are the squares? It looks to me as if the quilting stitches are not sufficiently close together to hold the batting together when washing. This may not be as big a deal in a wallhanging. Seems to me you could use a dark blue thread to quilt around some of the shapes.

QuiltE 03-18-2013 11:16 AM

ditto to above ... why fight with monofilament, whenyou could use a coloured thread?

You're getting so many threads going here, that it's getting confusing.
As another thought ... have you proven that your machine will FMQ with regular thread?
It could be that it's not the monofilament to blame.

fien777 03-18-2013 11:41 AM

I would try to outline more shapes as others say.......the fabric is asking for it....at least to me it is.
And why not doing that with normal thread?

quilter2090 03-18-2013 11:49 AM

Are you using nylon or polyester invisible thread? I had a terrible time with nylon so I switched to polyester invisible thread and it sooo much easier to deal with. Or you could do a stippling or meadering quilt pattern with a varigated thread. I think that would be lovely. Good Luck!

nativetexan 03-18-2013 11:51 AM

since it's small, you should be able to put on your walking foot and slowly stitch around items in each section by turning the quilt bit by bit. I do that a lot when I can't do free motion quilting. have fun. it's cute!!

quilt addict 03-18-2013 12:12 PM

Like the panel and agree with the above recommendations, I think it needs more quilting.

busy fingers 03-18-2013 12:18 PM

I love that panel. I would suggest perhaps using your walking foot with a bigger stitch length than you would normally sew with and outline some of the objects - especially around the barrels, bottles, shelves, glasses and pictures on the wall.

Deb watkins 03-18-2013 12:23 PM

I think you should pop a few corks on those bottles and look at it through a rose' colored glass or two. It is a nice piece, suggestions offered are worth looking into!