Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I need a backing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-need-backing-t211227.html)

Karol 01-17-2013 12:29 PM

Do I need a backing?

I am about to quilt a top that will be used as the top for a dog bed. Therefore the underside of the quilted top will not be seen.

I have always used just something to back the batting but wonder if that is really necessary?

Could I quilt the top on just the batting?

Dina 01-17-2013 12:49 PM

I don't know the answer, but I would think that if it was going to ever be washed, it might need a backing? I will be reading this to see what others say.

Dina

MTS 01-17-2013 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Karol (Post 5793129)
as the top for a dog bed. Therefore the underside of the quilted top will not be seen. ?

And the dog understands this?

ckcowl 01-17-2013 12:59 PM

if you are using batting you need something on the back- otherwise the batting will just (disintergrate) pull apart- wear away quickly- dogs tend to play with their (beds) and would LOVE to dig-tear apart a batt!
you could just use fleece or flannel for a back to quilt to-instead of batting.

lakekids 01-17-2013 01:12 PM

Do I understood that you are creating a quilted top that will be assembled to make a dog bed? If my understanding is correct then I see why you would not want a backing.

Depending on your batting you do not have to have a a backing fabric. If you batting is fluffy (like a wool blend or some polyesters battings) then the batting may catch on your feed dogs. However, if you are using a cotton or cotton/blend batting then you probably will not have a problem quilting the top without a backing.

JulieR 01-17-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5793177)
if you are using batting you need something on the back- otherwise the batting will just (disintergrate) pull apart- wear away quickly- dogs tend to play with their (beds) and would LOVE to dig-tear apart a batt!
you could just use fleece or flannel for a back to quilt to-instead of batting.

Agreed. Also, Fido is going to get stinky and sooner or later the quilted cover will need to be washed, and washing without a backing is gonna be a thing.

mighty 01-17-2013 01:31 PM

I really think you need to back it!

auntpiggylpn 01-17-2013 03:07 PM

I strongly encourage using a backing on the batting. I would definately use something cheap and possibly unattractive as this is never going to be seen by anyone who doesn't wash the cover. You could use an old sheet if you wanted to. I wouldn't use top of the line, $$$ fabric.

Daylesewblessed 01-17-2013 04:18 PM

Backing, yes. However, I wouldn't bother with a fancy binding - ha!

JulieR 01-17-2013 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5793402)
I strongly encourage using a backing on the batting. I would definately use something cheap and possibly unattractive as this is never going to be seen by anyone who doesn't wash the cover. You could use an old sheet if you wanted to. I wouldn't use top of the line, $$$ fabric.

Actually I'd opt for sturdy on the backing fabric; something that will get washed that much needs something stronger than a sheet.