Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I need an computerized machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-need-computerized-machine-t215773.html)

CRO 03-07-2013 06:14 PM

Do I need an computerized machine?

I only started piecing 3 years ago. I have made 3 log cabins and am now spreading out. I just took one to the quilter that was a combo of 9 patch and roman stripes. I am currently working on one with lots of flying geese and even my first appliqueing. I have done this on a $90 Singer Simple. I really want to move up. I have looked at and tried husqvarna and Janome machines. I thought the Emerald 118 really was nice, but except for the needle up/down feature it wasn't different except sewing much better, and it didn't have a blanket stitch.
I also tried a HusqvarnaOpal 650 and a Janome 2030DC. They are priced the same with the Janome $200 off right now. They are both more than I wanted to spend and have more features than I will probably ever use, but the 118 is $400 and the other 2 are $800 with the janome $200 off.
Should I go with computerized? If I buy the 118 I can upgrade up to 12 months later for the full price of the 118 being applied to the Opal.
I would love to buy used, but you all seem to be hording your machines. :p

tatavw01 03-07-2013 06:45 PM

whatever you do make sure that you can do zig zag

humbird 03-07-2013 06:49 PM

In answer to your question, "do I need a computerized machine?" NO!! but if its what you want and can afford it, go for it! I do almost all my machine sewing on a 50+ year old Necchi, and a newer Elna, probably 20 something that I also use often. Nothing computerizied. But if one came my way, I would probably snatch it up!!

quiltsRfun 03-07-2013 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by CRO (Post 5912892)
it didn't have a blanket stitch.

Is that a deal breaker? Just make sure you get the features you really want. You might end up with a few extrs that you don't think you'll need in order to do that.

Dolphyngyrl 03-07-2013 07:11 PM

No but I love the extras that my mechanical can't do

CRO 03-07-2013 07:16 PM

I probably stated that wrong. I'm just wondering if I would be happier with a computerized vs manual machine with what I want to do.

Cybrarian 03-07-2013 07:30 PM

For me the answer was yes. Started quilting on my 25 yr old Kenmore. When I got a bonus at work I bought an Elna 750 ( I think that's the number). She has Quilting Queen on her and she is! I also have a little $140 Brother from Walmart for classes and traveling to my mom's. I am so glad I got my Ellie, love her and all she can do!

CRO 03-07-2013 07:36 PM

My next question would be which would be the better buy?

mom-6 03-07-2013 08:37 PM

The main things you need to ask yourself - what features do I most want my machine to be able to do and how often will I use these features that I want. Then see which machine is the best match to your criteria. And of course how much you are willing to pay for a new machine.

Tashana 03-07-2013 08:38 PM

I have many machines, five to be exact and they range in age from 100+ years to 10 years old. None is computerized. Every now and then I wish for a machine that can adjust to a scant 1/4" seam and that has automatic thread cutter but then I remember that I spend $0 in servicing my machines because I can do it myself. With the computerized, I would have to take it in to be serviced and the amount I sew, it would have to be very often. Good luck!