Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I need a middle layer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-need-middle-layer-t254010.html)

JenelTX 09-19-2014 05:07 AM

Do I need a middle layer?

Every quilt I've made has been too warm for my husband, so I thought maybe I would make one with no batting. Just two layers of cotton fabric to block the air a little bit in the wintertime. (We're in Texas, and he's very hot blooded.) But will I be able to quilt the layers together, or will that look weird? Should I just tie it? All advice and suggestions are welcome!

nabobw 09-19-2014 05:11 AM

I do not see why you have to put batting in it. You should be able to quilt it and look beautiful.

PenniF 09-19-2014 05:24 AM

No reason why you can't put your quilt together any way you want....Another thought - maybe you could put a layer of muslin between the front and back if you wanted it to have a little more "body" without adding warm bulk. He must be "hot blooded".....i live here and i get COLD !!

JenelTX 09-19-2014 05:43 AM

I get cold, too, Penni! I live in the Austin area, so it's not as cold here as it is up in North Texas, but even so, we do have chilly nights. In the winter, he gets too cold with no blanket but too warm with a blanket, so I thought a batting-less quilt might be the perfect solution for him. I sure hope so! I already bought the fabric. :) I appreciate your advice.

You know, when I first moved to Texas from Wisconsin, I thought it was going to be warm all the time. I moved to the DFW area, and I gave away all of my heavy clothes and coats before heading south. It iced up at least three times that winter! And I didn't have a car. I guess I should've done a little research. LOL

Sewnoma 09-19-2014 05:51 AM

My gran made my sister & I 'summer weight' quilts for our beds when I was 15 - I still have mine. It was made with no batting, just tied. It's held up great, the only "problem" with it is some sun damage; it laid over the back of my couch for a few years when I first moved out of my parent's home and so the strip that was uppermost got sun bleached. I kinda don't mind though, it's just another page in the quilt's story!

nativetexan 09-19-2014 06:01 AM

men can be so picky, yet wallow in mud. you can make him a "summer" quilt without batting.

Jackie Spencer 09-19-2014 06:12 AM

Depending on the colors of your fabrics. Sometimes the colors on the back fabric will show through the lighter fabrics on the front.

JenelTX 09-19-2014 06:35 AM

Thanks for that thought, Jackie. I'll make sure to choose my backing fabric accordingly.

Peckish 09-19-2014 06:58 AM

What kind of batting do you normally use for quilts? If you've been using poly, you might try wool, silk, or alpaca. Poly is very very very warm. :)

Jeanne S 09-19-2014 06:58 AM

I have read several previous posts about just using the top and back with no batting for the same reason. You can surely do it and it will likely be perfect for him. What you will lose is the definition in your quilting design, because there won't be the thickness to allow for the difference in elevation around the stitching and the unstitched parts. But you can quilt it if you want rather than tie if that suits your look better. Many call these summer quilts.