Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I need to pull up my bobbin thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-need-pull-up-my-bobbin-thread-t286626.html)

sewannie 03-07-2017 09:30 AM

Do I need to pull up my bobbin thread?

I'm getting ready to begin my first ever machine quilting and I am really nervous! This is my first quilt and don't want to mess it up. I will be using my walking foot and doing simple straight line quilting next to the seam lines in my blocks. My question is, when I begin my stitching do I need to pull up my bobbin thread to knot and bury it later with every start and stop? Or can I backstitch at the very beginning and will my binding hide it? My quilt has borders on it. What is the best way to start and stop your straight line quilting with a walking foot? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

dunster 03-07-2017 09:39 AM

If you start and stop at the edge of the quilt you can just leave a tail of thread, and let the binding hide it. When starting or stopping within the body of the quilt you do need to bring up the threads before starting or after stopping so that you don't wind up with a tangle on the back. You can tie or bury the threads or do back stitching, stitch-in-place, or small stitches before you bring up the threads. My preference is to tie and bury. I don't think it takes that much longer and it's less visible, but for many quilts (especially if quilting in the ditch) you wouldn't see back stitching or small stitches anyway.

MadQuilter 03-07-2017 11:46 AM

Dunster pretty much covered the basics.

Starting in the middle of the quilt, you can sew all the straight lines in one direction. Then you turn the quilt 180 degrees, go back to the center and quilt the remaining lines. I always do all the long seams first. That seems to work best.

It is important that you have a taut sandwich so you don't get puckers. Have fun.

donna13350 03-09-2017 12:31 AM

When my daughter started quilting, the first quilt she made, she stressed over every single stitch..it was making her crazy. I dragged out my first quilt and showed her all of my mistakes...then my last quilt..and told her to lighten up..there will be mistakes, and bad days..but you have to go into it with the attitude of fun and enjoyment. NOBODY will ever see all of your mistakes..try to relax and realize that with every quilt, we all learn and grow..no quilt is perfect. It's got to be fun, or you won't do it again! Enjoy the process, and know it won't be perfect..but that you will get better as you go.

jmoore 03-09-2017 03:27 AM

Dunster has given good advice and exactly as I do... if you are coming in from the sides with your FMQ, the binding will hide and anything in the middle I bring my threads to the top to bury... just remember to relax and have fun. It gets easier with each quilt.

d.rickman 03-09-2017 04:49 AM

I learned the hard way, on my longarm and had bird nests of thread on the back of my first quilt - but also forgot to put down the presser foot lever, so not only had the bird nests but the top thread left many many loops on the back as well. It is really difficult to unpick those errors - Dunster and others have given you great advice.

Mkotch 03-09-2017 04:55 AM

I usually pull the bobbin thread up and then back stitch, but that's because many of my quilts are for charity. You never know how the quilt will be treated or how often it will be washed. If the quilt is for "show" or a special gift, I tie off the threads as I go. Good luck - and enjoy yourself!

PatPitter 03-09-2017 05:25 AM

I would suggest you practice on some muslin and scrap batting first. Then you can get a feel of feeding a quilt sandwich through the machine and check your stitch length and tension.

Onebyone 03-09-2017 05:55 AM

I love crosshatch quilting. It looks good on any quilt. I start in the center either diagonal or horizontal across. Then turn the quilt and start over to make the grid. I usually do 2 1/2" inch spaces between lines for a large quilt. No ends to bury, it's fast, easy, and looks fantastic. I think I do a better job of crosshatching with my walking foot then the local LA does on her big machine. And I stitch over my applique if I have any.

joe'smom 03-09-2017 06:13 AM

I wouldn't start learning to machine quilt on something you're worried about messing up. I think it was Leah Day who said it takes two or three quilts to get the hang of it. Do you have some tops you don't care as much about, that you can quilt first?