Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I really have to undo it all? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-really-have-undo-all-t271892.html)

ManiacQuilter2 11-05-2015 06:17 AM

I dislike poly because it will tend to shift on you if possible when quilting. Cotton batting loves to stick to cotton fabrics. DO go to your local quilts and DO NOT FEEL embarrassed. We were ALL newbies at one point. We must learn from our mistakes. I would not take the stitching out. But it is always a good idea when quilting on your sewing machine to check the back every two or three rows to make sure everything looks OK.

Sandra-P 11-05-2015 07:18 AM

I would not un sew it! It isn't bunched to a point that it would cause me despair. I have quilts that I have done when I was starting out that look a lot worse than that and nobody I have given them to has noticed. Be easy on yourself, you are a beginner and nobody is perfect. Beautiful color, enjoy your hard work on it so far. Are you using a walking foot?

Jeanne S 11-05-2015 07:33 AM

It looks fine to me too!! I sure would not take it out. The loftier the batting the more compressed the stitching will be to cause the pouffiness in between the rows. Also I think spray basting tends to keep the quilt sandwich flatter than pin basting while quilting. Did you pin baste? Anyway, after it is washed and the natural crinkling occurs it will look perfect. Keep going and enjoy it!!

nativetexan 11-05-2015 08:32 AM

the back will look fine after washing. or soaking your quilt. I wouldn't worry. Looks good.

DeneK 11-05-2015 10:14 AM

If my first quilt looked this good, I'd be happy dancing all over the place. Heck, if my 4th or 5th looked that good, I'd still be pleased. This has proved to be the hardest part of quilting for me. And I don't remember if anyone else has said it, but we do tend to be our harshest judges. I quilt for fun. Do the best you can (next time will probably be better, but more important is to enjoy the journey.

tessagin 11-05-2015 10:20 AM

Like most others, I would just move on. If you're looking for perfection look up. I think it looks great. You must post after completed. Love the colors.

ruby2shoes 11-05-2015 11:18 AM

Thanks everyone, will redo the remaining pin basting today. Yes, I am using a walking foot, no 505, just pins (500 of them!) and I did start quilting from the middle outwards. Yep, have been quilting in the one direction to reduce the bulk under the harp each time. I wondered whether it was the "pattern" of stitching that was lending it to doing this. Thanks all.

ruby2shoes 11-05-2015 02:54 PM

post script: just rang the local quilting shop to ask if I could have someone look at it for me and got a rather lukewarm bemused response so that idea is off my options list for sure. Will muddle on...thanks all for your responses.

Texas_Sue 11-06-2015 03:36 AM

I would not take out the quilting. The backing looks ok to me and like others have said, smooth out the rest of the quilt and baste well. Congratulations on quilting your quilt. I have 3 that I've got to get sandwiched and quilted and I just keep putting it off.

Hang in there - you're doing a great job.

Susan

Karen G 11-06-2015 05:47 AM

I would continue as is. I bet it will look just fine after washing and drying.