Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-really-need-add-quarter-ruler-t194157.html)

maxo 07-13-2012 04:53 PM

I agree the ruler is un-necessary...anyway when I pp I have never cut fabric to a specitfic size just bigger than the pattern and I audition it to make sure it is the right size. I have plucked out many stitches when I didn't do this.

I love pp. I use sandwich paper you get from a resturant(sp off my thinker is not thinking..lol) supplier and then cu tit down to fit in my printer to print off patterns, it comes off really well and not expensive either.

Yarn or Fabric 07-14-2012 04:26 AM

I'm a bit late on my opinion of the ruler. I have 3 of them - the add a quarter 6", 12" and the add an eighth for the tiny pieced areas. I love love love my rulers. I use them for more than paper piecing too. I have been known to flip them over and use as a regular ruler for some things - I can put my finger right along the side of the lip and then cut.
I bought the 12" first and found it too long for most piecing so I got the 6" one. I use them both though because sometimes the 6" just isn't long enough. I find it slower to scissor cut after each piece I sew - so for me, it's one of my favorite rulers :)

sdeaaz 07-14-2012 09:45 AM

I like it too. Don't need it, but makes paperpiecing a snap for me.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5352883)
Well, I guess I'm 'odd girl out'. I love my add a quarter ruler for paper piecing. The bottom isn't flat, the 1/4" part is a bit thicker so all you have to do is butt the edge of the raised portion against your folded back seam, cut then line up your next piece.

quiltjoey 07-17-2012 07:31 PM

I have the 6" and 12", 1/4" rulers. Also have 1/8" ruler. They solved the paper piecing problem I had. I learned to use them by watching a tute on the Connecting Threads website under their tutorials. It was the best tute I found after searching the web and YouTube for them. I love the rulers...

cmw0829 07-18-2012 09:28 AM

Well...my bargain ruler was delivered to the wrong post office and delayed two days so I purchased a 6 inch ruler at class last night - 10% off on class materials so it wasn't too much.

In retrospect, I liked handling the shorter ruler. I'll probably keep the 12 inch as well since there were times I had to shift the shorter ruler to trim the full length.

Now that I've used it, I have to say I really liked using it and am glad I decided to get it. And I think I will really like this paper-piecing technique!!

sewmary 07-18-2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang (Post 5356619)
This makes me wonder how you're using yours. I always use mine to trim the seam allowance before I sew. I fold the paper back (around a straight piece of template plastic to give me that sharp line) along the seam line I intend to sew next. Then I butt my add-a-quarter ruler along that folded paper and trim my seam allowance which provides me a guide for the next piece of fabric. I can't think of using it after I've sewed and am interested to hear about your method, especially if it's nice and fast. The other thing I like about the trimmed seams is that when there are a lot of them, the trimming helps keep the bulk down on the back.

Yes, I do my trimming like you (and folding - without a postcard!). My small little ruler is just fine - I can see the 1/4" mark clearly so I don't use the special ruler. If I had one, chanches are I couldn't find it anyway!

IAmCatOwned 07-18-2012 03:26 PM

If you don't know if you are going to like paperpiecing, just use a short ruler that you already have. Buy the 1/4 inch ruler only if you find that you LOVE paperpiecing. It really saves a lot of effort when you are going along. I'm not too good at paperpiecing and won mine as a door prize and I gotta say, I like it much better than a regular ruler for this purpose.