Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I really need Muslin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-really-need-muslin-t13531.html)

gracie_r 11-18-2008 03:21 PM

I am taking a beginner machine quilting class on Saturday and the supplies list says I need to pre-cut some squares and trianges out of muslin for the class.

I have some leftover fabric that I'd just like to get rid of that I'd like to use instead. It is 100% cotton. Do you think I could just use that? I hate to buy more when I'd like to use up some ugly stuff I have. We will just be using it to learn - we aren't making anything out of it.

What do you think?

MAXIES2 11-18-2008 03:24 PM

Could it be that the muslin is a good plain colour to show off the different stiches etc. I would be very interested in how you get on.
Katherine

Elizabeth A. 11-18-2008 03:50 PM

Ahhh... It's up to you. My first thought was the Muslin because it's fairly cheap, but it could be the color as well. Is there a way you can ask the instructor about it?

sandpat 11-18-2008 04:14 PM

I'm with Elizabeth on this one. Just ask the instructor, she'll tell you. Have fun at your class!

gracie_r 11-18-2008 06:05 PM

Thanks you guys - I was thinking it might be the color too. She just comes in to teach the class, but I'll call the quilt shop and see if they what she'd like.

3incollege 11-18-2008 06:09 PM

I took one of those classes and we needed 8 muslin squares to practice on. everyone showed up with what they were told. the reason is so that you can see the stitches and the patterns. I would take the muslin.

patricej 11-19-2008 02:06 AM

how light is the back of the fabric you already have? it might show the stitches as well as muslin would.

take the fabric you want to use. have a few dollars in your pocket, though, in case there is a "real" need for muslin. if it's a "must", you can pick up what you need at the shop.

or use your uglies and use the dollars to pick up a sale cut after class.

win-win :wink:

fabricluvr 11-19-2008 02:29 AM

for my machine quilting class, we were told to bring a yard of muslin, but instead i took some ugly solid green broadcloth that i wanted to use up. i took the muslin, too, just in case. turns out the green fabric was just fine (actually showed my stitching nicely) and i've kept my 'first designs' as a keepsake!

if you take both, you can always use the muslin later for a project (backing for a wallhanging maybe?). you'd just have to cut it up into the squares quickly if she insists you use it (if you can't get ahold of her, maybe go a few minutes early to take care of details).

in our class, we used the yard and divided it up (with marked pencil) into six sections. that way we were working with a larger piece of fabric to get used to manipulating it on/in the machine bed.

i would definitely go with a solid, though. you'll want to be able to clearly see your stitches and any tension issues you may have.

what thread is she having your bring?

gracie_r 11-21-2008 10:43 AM

Sorry I haven't responded to your questions yet!

The fabric I have is solid and light. I think that I'll take your suggestions and bring both. We are supposed to cut out some peices before class, but I think I'll just go in early and ask and then do it.

Thanks everybody!