Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do Longarms decline in quilting quality? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-longarms-decline-quilting-quality-t258459.html)

Retiree 12-19-2014 12:58 PM

Do Longarms decline in quilting quality?

My friend has a Gammill that she bought new about 15 years ago. She quilts for people in her shop. I have noticed the last few quilts she has done for me have not been of the same quality. Could her machine need a tune up or is it getting old? Thanks for your thoughts.

Onebyone 12-19-2014 01:10 PM

I've noticed the same with two LA's I use to use. Their work quality fell too low for me for the price. They have been quilting for others for over ten years. I think they are getting bored, no stamina, or simply can't see like they use to. I doubt the machine has anything to do with it unless the tension is messed up. One was letting her DH and DD do the quilting for her on many of the quilts. She said it was the machine doing the quilting so it didn't matter who ran the machine. I try to find newer LA to use. They put extra effort in their work and it shows.

Tartan 12-19-2014 01:19 PM

If the quality of the stitches has changed than her machine might need a tune up. If the quilting designs/pattern is effected than it is probably her rather than the machine. People wear out too.

ManiacQuilter2 12-19-2014 02:19 PM

I quilted for other for almost ten years on my Bernina 1530. Besides the strain on one's physical body, it is also stressful trying to come with new ideas for quilting each quilt. It can become exhausting.

PaperPrincess 12-19-2014 02:57 PM

She is providing a professional service and, I'm guessing hasn't lowered her price. You should expect the same quality as in the past. Since she is a friend, it's a sensitive issue, but you should bring it up, especially since it's been the last several quilts. If it's the machine, she may not have noticed. If she's just getting burned out, I don't think it's fair for her to continue to do sub standard work. Maybe it's time for her to end this particular service or train someone to take over.

Candace 12-19-2014 04:19 PM

Longarms need maintenance like any other machine to be at their best. If she's gone too long without a service you should kindly let her know. Though she should notice on her own!

sewingsuz 12-19-2014 05:33 PM

I think this happens in other professions also. Like my SOL is a hair dresser and I don't go to her any more because the work is not what it use to be. They get burned out.

Annaquilts 12-19-2014 05:48 PM

Parts do need to be replaced and maintained. I would hope over time a LA quilter gains new skills not loose skills. Of course if her children or DH are quilting you should know before hand and be OK with it and if their skills are lower this should be reflected in cost. I sometimes try out something new, with their permission of course, on simple quilts of friends and charge them for a basic all over even though I do custom work. Another time they come in and want as cheap as possible they will get that, a basic all over. Did she maybe do favors for you in the past and now she is doing basic work because you are paying for a basic all over? If there are problems with tension or just plain bad work you should talk to her. It is also good to have a clear understanding of cost and what will be quilted onto your quilt. Even between friends a basic contract will help you get what you want and help her understand what is expected. I hope you are able to resolve this especially since she is a friend.

DianneK 12-20-2014 05:17 AM

I am a long arm quilter, have been doing this for 12 years. We have our good days and our bad days, just like anyone else. If I see that my quilting isn't up to par, I simply stop, take a break, or if need be, wait until the next day.

Retiree 12-20-2014 05:36 AM

You all have given me some things to think about. I had not thought of many of these issues. She is quite busy with family, so maybe some of it is distractions. Maybe I will broach the subject--just have think on it. Thanks so much.