Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do Manufacturers Make Second Runs of Fabric to Sell Less Expensively (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-manufacturers-make-second-runs-fabric-sell-less-expensively-t98726.html)

cmw0829 02-11-2011 08:32 AM

Just wondering...

There is a fabric store in MA that sells quilting fabrics for $2.99 a yard. They are name brands such as Wyndham, Andover, Marcus Brothers, Avlyn plus some others that I don't recognize. I haven't seen Hoffman, Moda or some of the other big names.

Now...I wonder, how can they sell it so cheaply? Could it be lesser quality, second-runs, etc.? They tell me it's not "seconds" but the clerks have a reputation for not knowing a lot about fabric.

So I did the touch test. Some feel thinner than fabrics at the LQS. Some, particularly the Andover, don't have the sized feel of the fabric at the LQS.

What do you think?

sharon b 02-11-2011 08:35 AM

Wonder if it is older fabric lines ? So since it has been taking up space somewhere it is better to sell it and move the product

Candace 02-11-2011 08:43 AM

Maybe send an e-mail to the fabric manufacturers and ask?

cmw0829 02-11-2011 08:45 AM

edit:
Apologies. They have Makower, not Marcus Brothers.

fabrichore 02-11-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
Just wondering...

There is a fabric store in MA that sells quilting fabrics for $2.99 a yard. They are name brands such as Wyndham, Andover, Marcus Brothers, Avlyn plus some others that I don't recognize. I haven't seen Hoffman, Moda or some of the other big names.

Now...I wonder, how can they sell it so cheaply? Could it be lesser quality, second-runs, etc.? They tell me it's not "seconds" but the clerks have a reputation for not knowing a lot about fabric.

So I did the touch test. Some feel thinner than fabrics at the LQS. Some, particularly the Andover, don't have the sized feel of the fabric at the LQS.

What do you think?

where in mass, if you don't mind me asking....

dflynn 02-11-2011 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by fabrichore

Originally Posted by cmw0829
Just wondering...

What do you think?

where in mass, if you don't mind me asking....

I was going to ask same question.

craftyone27 02-11-2011 10:26 AM

Recently had a similar thread on this board specifically relating to Robert Kaufman (which I noticed wasn't on your list). His representative says they don't produce any second quality fabric for any distriibution.

ewecansew 02-11-2011 11:16 AM

I don't think the manufacturers of any product would put their name on it if they thought it was lesser quality. Why would they try to ruin their reputation?

Holice 02-11-2011 11:20 AM

yes where......there is a store in Auburn Ma that sells everything for $1.99 Some of it is very good quality.

asmmauer 02-11-2011 11:26 AM

I wonder if it maybe is a factory second may have a flaw somewhere in bolt or dye lot off a little bit I would think the manufacturers would have very high quality control since they charge so much for high quality fabrics. May be its a type of outlet store or fabrics that didn't sell well and so they were overstocked at factory.What ever the reason it still sounds like a fantastic deal so go for it.