Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do people really use the quilts shown at quilt shows? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-people-really-use-quilts-shown-quilt-shows-t238525.html)

Dina 01-10-2014 07:27 AM

Do people really use the quilts shown at quilt shows?

I have just returned from a quilt show. The quilts are beautiful, sort of putting mine to shame, but I am wondering if folks ever really use those quilts. They are just too beautiful to use. I would be afraid to put one of those masterpieces on any of my beds.

Or do they hang them, make large wall hangings out of them?

Or are they just to be admired?

I really am just wondering. I recently made a Bargello quilt that is too pretty to use. I put it on a chair for awhile and decided it wasn't right there. My husband just hung it for me, and I am quite pleased with that...but it got me wondering about these really gorgeous quilts.

I think if I had made one of those masterpieces, I would want to protect it and only bring it out for shows.

Dina

quiltstringz 01-10-2014 07:34 AM

Don't know - some like the art quilts I am sure are just hung. If I had one that wasn't an art quilt, I think I would use it. I have some that had a lot of work in them that I have given away and those are used on beds.

charsuewilson 01-10-2014 07:41 AM

I use mine. Some have been in quilt shows. My intention is to use all my quilts, except for a few made as wall hangings.

tessagin 01-10-2014 07:51 AM

They used them in the beginning. I love a gorgeous quilt on a bed. One of my favorite memories is when I was about 10 years old and went with my Grandmother to southern Indiana. Her brother's wife passed away. Aunt Esther made some beautiful quilts. Their summer bedroom had 3 windows with lace curtains that blew beautifully in the breeze. Aunt Esther also made the curtains (tatted). The quilts were absolutely huge. I felt special sleeping under those quilts and on the feather mattress. She had some with embroidery also. She used some of the feed sacks for pillow cases. I want the quilts I make to be used. I like the wall hanging (art) quilts also.

DOTTYMO 01-10-2014 07:54 AM

I use mine so do the dogs and they went into a quilt show. I make quilts to be used and enjoyed not stored too gather dust.

Dina 01-10-2014 08:06 AM

I am glad to hear that some are used. I like the idea of that. I also realize that my question is very generalized, as I suppose the answer is "It depends...." But I like knowing that some are used.

I am still in awe of the beautiful quilts I saw. Oh, it was the Oklahoma City Quit Show, which is running for two more days. If anyone is close enough to go, it was certainly a good show with beautiful quilts.

Dina

BellaBoo 01-10-2014 08:13 AM

I enter all local shows a lot. I use or give away the quilts I enter. I won Viewer's Choice one year and that one is on a quilt rack in my living room. It's used by anyone that wants to cover up while watching tv or reading. I use wallhanging size for table toppers and to cover the top of a big ottoman. I have several 3 x 6 quilts I use as throw rugs under end tables and such.

Tartan 01-10-2014 08:45 AM

I have seen award winning quilts in several different shows. I think they keep them for further prizes rather than using them. Since mine will never be big show worthy, I use them.

Daylesewblessed 01-10-2014 08:51 AM

I agree with Tartan -- I think they make the rounds to several different shows before finding a bed for a home.

DogHouseMom 01-10-2014 09:24 AM

Depends on your definition of "use".

Some of the quilts which won BIS at major quilt shows are used at museums as display pieces.
Many are shown at multiple shows and eventually used as wall hangings in the makers homes.
Others are used multiple times by the maker in trunk shows.
Quite a few are used as samples to make/sell patterns, books, and classes - either by the maker or by the fabric designer/manufacturer.
Others still are donated and used as charity fundraisers.